Tuesday, October 4, 2011

{Day 4} – Joy in your Marriage

IMG_1454-1

Welcome back to 31 Days to Becoming a JOYful wife and mother! For the next few days I want to talk about being a joyful wife.

It’s unfortunate that marriage is so dispensable in our society today, but the truth of the matter is, you CAN be happily married for LIFE!

Marriage is tough and at times hard work. But it makes for a wonderful, peace-filled life if you are choosing joy in your marriage.

The picture below was my hubby and I back in our Bible college days. I met him when I was just 17 years old and we got married when I was 20. Even our dating years had their ups and downs but ultimately we decided that we couldn’t imagine living our lives without the other person in it, and we have been happily married for almost 15 years since then!

scan0027

{and who could resist throwing in a wedding photo for a post like this?}

 scan0001-1 

One of the most important things in a great marriage is communication. When couples don’t communicate well with each other it’s a recipe for disaster.

Before Bob and I got married we went through a time of premarital counseling with the pastor from our church. I’ll never forget one of the most important exercises he had us work through which was a questionnaire that we worked on together. It had questions about everything under the sun from how many kids we wanted to have, where we wanted to live, what were our hopes & dreams, etc. We spent a few days going over those questions together and they brought about the best discussions and conversations! I am positive that our pastor had us do this not only to be sure we were on the same page, but also to introduce us to the concept of having good communication.

Communicating well with your spouse is a key part of a successful marriage. As much as we wish our husbands could read our thoughts and know exactly how to respond to our {unsaid} feelings, it just isn’t realistic to expect that!

I will talk more about MIScommunication later, which is a whole other topic!

 

{a photo of us this summer}

IMG_0215

Today’s challenge is this:

Take some time to think about how well you and your spouse communicate with one another. If it’s helpful, make a list of some things that you wish you and he communicated better about. Now don’t go shoving the list under his nose or bashing him over the head with it. For now, just make the list or take some time to dwell on what those things are. And of course, pray. If you feel like the communication level between you and your spouse isn’t where you’d like it to be, start praying about it today. We’ll talk more about what to do about it in the coming days.

See you tomorrow! Check out the other 31 dayers here.

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

No comments: