I guess some may think this post is horribly morbid, but sometimes it's just the way I think. One of the things that makes me want to slow down and enjoy life and choose joy in all things, is knowing that it could all be taken from me tomorrow {or at any moment, really}.
We are not guaranteed a long, happy life here on earth. The Lord could return tomorrow {that would be the BEST case scenario!}, we could die in a car accident or receive a devastating diagnosis at any time. Or something could happen to our husband, or one of our children. I pray that it won't but I always know that our days are not promised to us - the only promise we have is in knowing we'll spend eternity in heaven if we know the Lord Jesus as our Savior.
I don't want to scare you with stories, but I'm sure you must know of some people who were taken from this earth too soon. I think of my Dad who died of leukemia, I think of my dear friend Jen, who lost her husband to pancreatic cancer earlier this year making her a widow at only 39 yrs old. I think of college friends who lost a sweet toddler daughter to cancer, or my twin cousins who never knew their Dad because he died of heart failure 3 weeks before they were born. These devastating events happen all the time all around us.
I just want to know one thing ... if you KNEW you only had a week to live, or even a month or a year - would you live any differently? Would you do things different at all or would life go on exactly the same? I'm confident that I would do things different. I KNOW I would cherish every moment, every day. I know I would take more time for the important stuff like relationships with people and less time to worry about the latest news on Facebook.
I remember when my Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia. I went to visit him in Florida at the height of his sickness and he just cried in desperation and regret. I remember him saying 'I wish I had gone to more of your school plays and sporting events and not worked so many long hours' I laughed and said, 'don't worry Dad, I wasn't in any school plays anyway!' But I knew what he meant. He was a great Dad, do not get me wrong on that. He was always a great Father and provider and example to me. But he did work a lot. There was no denying his drive and work ethic. I didn't grow up thinking 'I wish my Dad was around more', in fact the thought never crossed my mind when I was growing up. But obviously it was something that ate away at HIM and at the end of his life it was something he regretted.
We don't get any do-overs friends. You've only got one life. You have the choice to live it to the fullest NOW while you can ... or live with the regrets later, when it might be too late.
I often think of Amy, the mother of 3 young girls, diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. Amy is fighting for her life and facing medical treatments and surgeries every month. I KNOW she wants to live a long life and see her daughters grow. I read her blog posts and can't help but say 'Lord I'm SO thankful for my health!!' I make myself remember her because who knows ... maybe some day it could be me facing cancer. Like I said above, we're given no guarantees here in this life.
I know a Mom who constantly complains about her children. It seems like nothing they do is good enough and she constantly acts as if they are a great burden on her. I know of another Mom who always pawns her children off on to others. She would rather have her alone time than drive her child to their practice or spend time with them. It saddens me to see these children growing up in homes where they aren't cherished.
Now hear me on this - I have said before and I will say again I am NOT a perfect person, parent, wife or Christian. I am a SINFUL, horrible person. I hope through this month you have seen that I FAIL, ALL.THE.TIME.
BUT --- I am trying very hard to become a Mom who sees every day as the precious gift that it is. Who sees my children as the very precious gifts that they are. Who sees my husband as the very precious gift that he is. Who sees my life as the very precious gift that it is.
Today's Challenge: Do you know another Mom who is in a more difficult situation than you are? Maybe she faces medical concerns, maybe she has a child who faces medical concerns, maybe she's struggling with depression, maybe she is going through tough financial times. Here are two things I'd like you to do {actually 3} -- First, begin to pray daily for this other Mom. Write her name somewhere you'll see it every day and commit to praying for her. Second, When you pray for her and think of all the difficulty she's going through - remember to thank the Lord that you are blessed and not struggling with these same afflictions. Allow the hardships of others to create a grateful heart in you as you see just how blessed you are. Third, Find something special you could do for this Mom. Maybe bake for her, run errands for her, watch her children, etc. Allow the Lord to use you to bless this Mom.
OKAY, I have a FOURTH thing - never take life for granted. Decide today to start living life joyfully every day. There are a few songs out there that encourage you to Live Like You We're Dying {Kris Allen} or Live Like You Were Dying {Tim McGraw} --- so let's start living that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment