Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year, A new decade ...

2010 is here ... it's not just a new year, it's a whole new decade. Yesterday I was thinking about the new year and it suddenly dawned on me that it was also a new decade. I started thinking back on where I was and what I was doing 10 years ago. It amazes me how fast time has flown and how much my life has changed in the last 10 years!

Here are a few facts about me from 10 years ago ...
Bob and I had been married for 3 years.
We had a puppy Casey who was almost 1 year old.
We lived in a rental house that was almost 100 years old.
We served as teen leaders at our church.
We would take off for the weekend whenever we wanted to go north and ski.
We both worked full time at a casino.
On NYE I was working at the casino, at a special event for 'high rollers', we had to dress up in a fancy gown and 'mingle' with the party guests for the evening. Although I didn't really like my job at the casino - working the NYE party was actually kind of fun!

Fast forward 10 years ...
Bob and I have been married 13 years.
Our dog is now almost 11 and showing every bit of her old age.
We own our home and have been here almost 9 years.
I serve in the MOMS ministry at our church.
We have two beautiful daughters. {biggest, most rewarding change to our lives by far!}
I quit working at the casino when my oldest daughter was born and have been privileged to stay home {almost} full time with our girls.
I now only work part time at a florist and as a babysitter for our friend's baby.
I homeschool our girls.
We now take our girls with us to 'take off for the weekend' to ski. {We just plan things a little more now and are less spontaneous!}
Yesterday I helped design the flowers for the NYE event at the same casino I used to work at ... and even though it was fun to be there and see all the fun decor, I was thankful that I no longer work there and could instead have a fun evening at home with my family and friends instead of having to 'mingle' with high maintenance 'high rollers'. LOL

I know there are many more changes ... my life, my faith, my friendships ... the changes in my life since 10 years ago are innumerable. Simply having children has changed me in a million ways!! I am thankful for the changes though. I've made so many mistakes, and lived so selfishly for so many years. I'm so thankful that the Lord continues to work on me and change me and mold me to be more like Him.

I always try to set some goals or resolutions for myself. I know they won't all be met. I know that I will continue to fail in some areas. But I still find the importance of them because if I never seek to set new goals then that means I've given up on challenging myself to be a better person. So I looked back on last year's resolutions and there was definitely some disappointment because I did not accomplish all of my goals - but I wanted to post them here as another reminder to keep on trying, keep on pushing, keep on working towards those goals - day by day by day.

Last year I wanted to:

* Spend more time with the Lord. Reading the Bible, having my quiet time, praying, writing in my journal, etc ...
* Spend less time watching TV and being on the computer
* Eat more healthfully
* Exercise more consistently
* Prioritize my time better
* Plan specific times to have one on one time with each daughter and hubby and make sure that I carry them out.
* Make more time for friends and keep in better contact with the ones that live farther away.
* Read more books.
* Model Christlike behavior for my girls and anyone who sees me

What are my goals for this coming year?
~I did read my Bible more and spend more time with the Lord last year. STILL not nearly as consistent as I WANT to be - but more than previous years. I did not write more in my journal. So these items will continue to be on my list.
~I did watch less TV. Instead I spent MORE time on the computer. This is an area that I really need to get control over. The computer steals way too much of my time - because I LET it. It will also continue to be a goal.
~Eat healthy and exercise will stay on the list as well ... I seem to do well for a time, then fall off the wagon, then do well again, then fall off the wagon again. I'd like to find a more consistent balance in this area.
~Prioritize my time will stay on the list as well. Again, too much time wasted on the computer.
~One on one time with girls and hubby - still a goal. My family is so important to me and I need to make sure they know it - not just when we do things together but making special time for each person.
~Family time - we're pretty good about family time, but I want to be even better. I want to do more outdoor, active things together. Biking, hiking, etc ... We all got tennis rackets for Christmas so our 'goal' is to learn together and have fun doing it!
~ Make more time for friends and keep in better contact with the ones that live farther away. I think I do spend a good amount of time with my girlfriends - what I need to be better about is just calling and checking in on friends more. Just sending a note to say hi and that I was thinking about them. This goes for local and long distance friends.
~Read more books - I have read a TON of books this year - wish I had kept track of them all. So my goal will be to continue reading and growing and to keep an ongoing list of books I've read.
~Scrapbook more! I have a gazillion photos and tons of great scrapbook supplies - I need to make time for this. It's something I love so much yet I always fail to make time for it!
~Be a better wife. {Don't laugh - I know it sounds like a lofty goal!} This year I've thought a lot about how much more I need to pray for my husband, encourage him, build him up, make time for him, etc. I do not seek to be a perfect wife - I never will be perfect. But I could do more and I want to do more. I'm reading 'The Power of a Praying Wife' for the first time and I'm struck constantly by how much more I need to pray for Bob and every aspect of his life.
~Model Christlike behavior for my girls and anyone who sees me - this will forever be my goal and purpose in life. To become more like Christ little by little and make sure that I'm as 'real' as can be to all who know me.

So that's all friends. I want to grow this year, I want to learn, I want to challenge myself and change for the better. How about you? What are your goals for the coming year?

5 comments:

Michelle DeRusha said...

I hear you about the computer stealing time. I let that happen every day, too -- and that's one of my resolutions...to create more balance in my life. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the computer obessession!

Laurel said...

So encouraged by your thoughts and goals, Kathy. Thanks!

Amy H said...

I like your resolutions from last year. Can I copy them down for myself for this year?

Kathy said...

Sure Amy! =)

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how I missed this post but that was a great idea about the 10 year reflection! I too struggle with computer time (we don't have a tv, so it's easy to justify it as my "outlet"). I'm trying to get better, too!