Friday, January 15, 2010

Play Room Dreamin'

These are the pics of our playroom -- sorry I can't get them moved lower in the post - it's SUCH a mess!!!!




Original post:
We recently went to a friend's house for the weekend. Actually the house belonged to my friend's in laws - but anyway, they had this very fun playroom for their grandkids. My girls had a BLAST playing in it all weekend. Was there anything super special about it? Not really. But it was full of fun toys and things that were new and different from what my girls have in their own home.

When we came home I kept asking my girls what was so fun and special about it. We have a huge finished basement that we use as a playroom - it's full of toys and stuff - but it seems like my girls rarely ever use the space or play with the toys. I will admit, this time of year it's mighty chilly down there ... but we have space heaters and I always try to encourage the girls to turn them on to warm the space so they can play down there.

Anyway, the girls shared that they would love to have a play kitchen, grocery cart, play food, etc ... I actually had to laugh because we USED to have all that and I got rid of most of it because they never played with it anymore!!! I thought that because they were beyond the toddler age it was useless to save that kind of stuff. Boy was I wrong!!

And so I find myself wondering what I can do to spruce up their playroom, make it more appealing, bring the fun back! Thankfully my youngest has a birthday coming up ... so my wheels are turning and I have lots of thoughts of things I can do to the playroom as a birthday gift to her.

The girls and I started looking at some photos online of playrooms we liked ... we ALL were drooling over this Pottery Barn kids one - wow! So adorable!




Our playroom already has one red wall ... so something in this color range would be great. But the price tag? Uh, no thank you! Way out of my price range! Besides, the kids in the photo are probably about 3 or 4 ... which means these items will be way too small for my 8 and almost 7 year olds.


So my plan is to either build, or ask a friend to build a kitchen that is taller and more suitable for my daughters. I also have some other really fun and cheap ideas of things I can do in the space. Honestly, it's fun to have a project to work on, and this one will be extra fun because it's all about playing!

The two things my daughters like to make believe most are 'home' and 'school' ... and I think I have some great ideas of how to make our space include both elements!

I do have a before photo - it's pretty ugly though! The current playroom is such a disaster right now! But when I get a chance I will upload it here - you will be shocked at the mess!

I'm also open for ideas ... you are some very creative people - and I just know you are brimming with awesome ideas. So please share, email me or post pics of your playroom to your blog and let me know about it. I'm definitely looking for more inspiration! Thanks friends!!!!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

When I finally get around to finishing up our playroom, I want to use chalkboard paint. Certain little ones already like writing on the walls!

Amy H said...

What a blessing that you have a playroom! Our playroom is also our living room, which is the first thing you see when you walk in our front door. It's the season of life we are in right now! So I don't really have any creative ideas for a playroom. But do you ever watch HGTV? Occasionally Divine Design and Color Splash do playrooms. Divine Design especially is cool, because she will make neat storage areas.

I love the saying on your red wall. Very cool!

My sister and I played make believe stuff when we were at LEAST as old as your girls, including grocery store. And you know the Fisher Price Little People from back in the day? We would make houses out of lincoln logs and play Little People in them for hours and HOURS when we were little (ahem! I mean like until jr. high school!).

Bethany said...

messy or not I'm drooling over your SPACE! don't take it for granted! our kids play in their bedrooms or the living room and dining room. my floors are ALWAYS covered with toys!