Monday, January 25, 2010

Diaper Cake

My friend just had her 4th baby and I wanted to bring over a little something for her new baby girl so I decided to try making this super cute baby diaper cake. It was SO fun and so easy! I know there are probably tutorials out there on the web and I know I could have followed one but I knew I could figure it out on my own if I just tried. So I assembled my tools and supplies and got to work ...

Start by cutting a large circle out of cardboard ... I used a large bowl to trace the size I wanted.
I stuck some pretty {girly} scrapbook paper on the front. Just cut the same circle shape from your scrapbook paper - well maybe just a teeny smidgeon bigger.
Start assembling your bottom layer. I could have rolled the diapers, but instead I just kept squeezing them together until they were in a large circle - then I very carefully tied a large ribbon around the whole bunch. This was rather tricky - it would help to have an extra pair of hands for this!!! I was trying to wrangle the diapers AND get the ribbon secured and it was quite comical!

Do the same for the next layer, except make it slightly smaller and use a different ribbon - I actually used this white ribbon and then changed my mind and switched it out to use it for the top layer.
I got these cute little bibs and onesies, which I used for the top layer. I rolled each up, then bunched them together and held them together with a ribbon just like I had done with the other layers.
This is how the 3 layers ended up looking ...

Then, in order to 'fancy up' my cake base - I used my circle punch to cut out lots of small circles for the outer edge ...
Flip your cake base over and tape or glue the circles around the edge so they are side by side.

When you flip it back over, this is how cute it will look!

Then, because I'm a perfectionist - I flipped it back over one more time and put another white sheet of paper to cover the circles - just wanted it to have a finished look and not messy. I know I'm crazy as this is the bottom and no one will ever see it - but it's the perfectionist in me what can I say??
Then I made a cute little card and attached it to a wooden pick - just cut out some cute circles and make it look like a flower - then add stickers to spell out the baby's name ... add a little ribbon to the bottom of the flower too ...
This is the finished product - I'm so happy with how cute it turned out!!
One last thing - you can add some cute words around the baby's name too if you want ...

And that's all! Cute, easy and inexpensive!











6 comments:

Sandra said...

It was adorable! I got one when I was pregnant with Rachel and they used a large rubber band to keep the layers together. Just an idea. I'm not sure that would make it any easier to get the layers shaped. I think I may steal your idea for Michelle's baby!

Mary said...

VERY CUTE! That gift def says "wrapped with love"! What a super creative way to present boring (yet very practical and appreciated) diapers!!! LOVE IT!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Ahhhhh! This is so stinkin' cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Someone I know needs to have a baby so I can make one of these. Very cute!

Stacy said...

I'll have to remember this idea. We have a baby shower coming up at church in the next couple of weeks! Love your ideas, Kathy!

Amy said...

LOVE this idea! That was super cute!