I mentioned in a previous post how I was decorating for fall on a budget this year ... as in, I had no money to spend and I had to be content with using what I already had.
Mission accomplished! What I did was create a cozy, warm space that I enjoy spending time in. My living room has some olive green and light blue features in it so I ended up just adding some orange things and surprisingly it all works just fine together!
Here is my mantle:
And from another angle, in natural light. My plants spent the summer outside on the deck and they grew like CRAZY!
I have this shelf by the front door so we can hang coats, school bags and such on the pegs.
This is how it usually looks. The shelves on the bottom are used as our homework station with important school papers and books, supplies for doing homework and projects and our library book bins.
Looking from the hallway towards the front windows. I LOVE my windows that allow so much sunshine to flood the room during the day! {As you can see we have ONE.UGLY.FOOTSTOOL. I have great plans to recover it someday if I could just find the right fabric.}
Looking at the other side of the room. I repainted that dresser last spring in a beautiful light blue color and I still love it every day.
Found this neat pumpkin on clearance at Target a couple years back.
This is what I would call 'Mom's corner'. I love to sit in the recliner in the morning to have my quiet time and my coffee. I love the collage of photos and such above the chair. I love the collection of books on the stool to the left. I love the cozy old quilt that has all sorts of holes in it but I just can't part with. It's just my own little special place. And yes, I do share it with my family, but they rarely sit there since it's not a good view of the TV. ;)
For years we have had a living room table set - it has a big coffee table and 2 big, square end tables. But the problem is, they are just WAY too huge for our little living room and people would always just bump into the corners of them and get hurt. So recently I saw on Pinterest an idea to use bar stools as end tables and I thought that was brilliant! I love the height of them, I love that they are small enough to fit in little spaces and that you can move them around the house as needed. I got 2 of them for only $6 on a resale group on Facebook and I love them!
This is looking back at the other side of the room ... kitchen/dining area in the background. I like to change my pillow covers for the seasons so I put these orange, plush ones on for autumn. {I like to think they draw your eye away from my old, torn up couches! hahaha}
Another 'little' table. This one I found at a yard sale for $5 and I need to do some repairing and paint on it but trust me, it was a good deal.
The whole room. =)
It may not be perfect or BIG or glamorous ... but I think it's warm and comfortable and cozy and that's what is important to me.
3 comments:
Ooooh it all looks so good and cozy! (I still LOVE that blue dresser, by the way!) Your new tables look great - it's amazing how much bigger the room looks now without the entertainment center and the side tables!
Kathy,
Just to let you know I really enjoy reading your blog. This is my first time posting, but I've been reading for several months now (I think since you first posted pictures of your downstairs cllassroom). Anyway, I love the idea of the bar stools as end tables and your homework station. Since we moved to our new house I'm constantly looking at how to decorate and make our house a home. Thanks for the inspiration to get ready for Fall.
We have a cozy living room/house, too, and I have come to think that that kind is the best. =)
Post a Comment