I have this large Rubbermaid box filled with special memories. Do you have anything like that too? Do you save important things that mean something to you? I certainly don’t keep EVERYthing, but I do hold on to things that are special to me. Some things are sad, some happy, some I keep because I know my memory will fade with age.
Here’s a little glimpse into the things I’ve kept in my Memory Box …
Magazines from horrific tragedies. Why would I want to remember this, I’m not sure. But it was a changing moment in our Nation’s history and I remember the day vividly. So I wanted to keep these.
Teeth. Again, you’re probably saying, why?! But these are many of my girl’s baby teeth and maybe some day I’ll throw them out, but for now I feel like they hold sentimental value. =)
Cards. Lots and lots of cards! I don’t keep every single card I’m given, but if it has a sweet message written or is a nice card from my hubby or kids I save it. It’s so nice to feel loved and reading the old cards makes me feel loved.
Crafts and things my girls have made for me. Again, I don’t save everything they make or give me, but there are a few special things saved in my box.
Memorials. I’ve lost some pretty special people in my life including my Dad. I saved the Memorial tape from his funeral, the DVD of pictures from Bob’s Grandma, and many of the wonderful sympathy cards that were given to me. I just feel like it’s my way of not forgetting these special people in my life.
Along with that is this picture of my parents, taken just a couple months before my Dad’s cancer diagnosis. My Mom is so grateful they had these photos taken!
My Grandma’s old Bible. When she died it was the one and only thing I wanted from her. It has her beautiful handwriting throughout and is very well worn and loved. Have you heard that saying ‘A Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to a person that isn’t.’ Well that was SO true of my Grandma. She was an amazing woman of God and a great example to me. I’m proud to have her Bible and read through all her notes. In the second pic you can see there are tons of little notes and scriptures written down and were all kept tucked in her Bible.
Journals, diaries, prayer books, whatever you want to call them. Most of them were never fully filled up. I’d always get a new one and be anxious to start writing in it so I’d never finish filling up the old one. They hold stories and memories and prayer requests and praises and notes and ways I’ve grown and just about anything else I could think of to write down. I love looking back through them and reading some of the stuff I wrote.
And that’s about it. There are a few others little odds and ends in my special box, but for the most part it’s filled with both happy and sad memories of my life.
I’m so thankful for tangible ways to remember life’s moments by. I know my memory wont’ last, so all these special things are great reminders for me.
3 comments:
I have a tote with stuff from my childhood. It'd be fun to blog about it sometime! Great idea for a post! I also have memory boxes for each child. Well Colin's isn't all together but I have a boot box from Christmas to decorate and use for him. :o) Thanks for sharing! I love the pic of your Dad and Mom together. I never knew them together so that's nice to see.
Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of totes under my bed with things. My grandmother passed away just over a year ago and I got her Bible, too which is falling apart. I also have notebooks where she wrote verses and lessons for Sunday school. She had SO many I was able to get one for each of my girls, too. What a treasure the handwriting is.
I have a hope chest full of memories and a few small totes. Today I added the collars of our two dogs that we said goodbye to recently. I just couldn't part with them. i love that you have your grandmothers bible with her writing in it....what a treasure!
Post a Comment