Monday, March 5, 2012

A Baking & Organizing Day

Part of trying to eat healthy is just simply being organized and having the right foods on hand. Most weeks I order my groceries online on Sunday night, and pick up curbside on Monday morning. It's great to start the week off with a full fridge and lots of fresh foods.

Today I decided it was also a good day to prep a bunch of things so not only is the healthy stuff 'in house', but it's also prepped and ready to go during those busy times. I mean a bag of Romaine lettuce is no good to me if when I'm totally starving it's still in the bag and not ready to eat yet!

I also wanted to tap into my Pinterest finds and make some of the things I've been pinning for months.

So here we go, first off I made some Taco Seasoning, this is something we use ALL the time and love so I actually quadrupled the batch.

Then I made a batch of my favorite Banana bread. This was actually my Grandma's recipe and it's always a hit. I will include the recipe at the bottom of the post. {It makes one large loaf or 3 of these mini loaves.} We ate one mini loaf for a snack this afternoon and froze the other two to use another day.

Then I cut my lettuce, washed it in the salad spinner and chopped up my veggies.  I keep the salad in the large bowl of the spinner in my fridge so I can have fresh salad whenever I want.

I made a batch of Crystal Light Pink Lemonade {my hubby and kids love it} and a pitcher of Green Tea with lemon {which is my fave drink of choice most days}.

Then I did homemade Whole Wheat Waffles. I would so much rather make these than buy Eggos! This batch made 8 LARGE waffles which I froze so the girls can have them for breakfast by simply reheating.

Then I *tried* to make homemade Almond Butter. Mine didn't come out so great but I don't have a food processor so I'm wondering if that is why? It still tastes pretty good, just isn't very creamy. I need to invest in a food processor!

I also tried the to make the Chocolate - Coconut Mousse from Pinterest but it also didn't come out quite right. Maybe I need to learn to follow directions better?! =) Mine was too runny and never really got thick and fluffy. So then I decided to freeze it and just eat it like frozen yogurt and that was pretty good. My girls didn't love it, but they don't really care for coconut and you can definitely taste the coconut flavor!

I hard boiled a dozen eggs so that we can use them on salads or make egg salad for lunches.

Lastly, in my crock pot cooking all day I did BBQ Pulled Pork. I honestly didn't follow much of a recipe. I basically just put a large Pork Shoulder roast in the crock pot and dumped a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce over the top and let it cook all day on low. It turned out amazing!

And that was my day! It's not as time consuming as it seems, I actually had many things going on at the same time {which makes for a messy kitchen!} so it probably only took a couple hours for everything.

Here is the Banana Bread Recipe:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shortening {or butter}
2 med. ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
{Optional mix ins: chopped walnuts, mini choc chips, etc. Add 1/2 cup if you want but the bread is just as yummy without any extras.}

Mix everything together except your add ins. Stir those in by hand. Pour into a loaf pan that is greased or sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 min {for one large loaf} or 40-50 min {for smaller loaves} Bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

What have you been making lately?

2 comments:

Robin said...

I love those kinds of super-productive days! Way to go :o) Speaking of recipes and Pinterest, I've GOT to have that make-your-own Cadbury Egg recipe you speak of! What?! Who knew that was even possible! Gotta go... Google is calling my name :o)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Thanks for letting us know about the mousse! You are so right about being prepared to eat well being half the battle. When I take the time in the beginning of the week to chop and prep all my veggies, it makes eating healthy a breeze.

Oh and I can personally vouch for that banana bread - you made it once when I came for lessons and I think it was half gone by the time I came home! lol SO good!