Tuesday, September 28, 2010

HomeMade Crockpot Applesauce

OK first you have to know that I don't have a real recipe for this ... but you'll see that it's soooo easy, you really don't even need instructions!

Go to a local orchard and pick fresh apples - this is the best part!

Peel and chop apples and dump them into your crockpot. It took about 10-14 apples to fill my crockpot - it all depends on how big your crock is and how big your apples are.


Then dump in about 1/2 cup to one cup of liquid {either water or apple juice}, and add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a large TBSP of cinnamon.
Let it simmer in the pot for about 6-8 hours on low. You can stir periodically if you wish.
When your apples are all nice and mushy you can decide if you like your sauce chunky or smooth. If you like it chunky, simply spoon into jars as is. If you like it smooth pour it into a blender or food processor and pulse for a quick second or two, then pour into jars.
I DO NOT do the whole water bath canning method - although I have done it before - but honestly it's just too much work for me. I let the jars sit on the counter overnight and then put them in the freezer until we're ready to eat them.
And let me tell you it is Y U M M Y ! ! !

2 comments:

Mary said...

That looks SO EASY! I want to do it!

Amy said...

Kathy, does the apple sauce come out of the freezer just as good? I've always done the whole canning thing, never popped anything into the freezer, it sounds SO much easier so I'm anxious to try it out! I'm going to try this crock pot recipe today, thanks for sharing!