Soooo, life has been so super busy lately and I'm trying to use my crock pot more and more so that at the end of the day I don't have to try and plan dinner.
Tonight we had Hawaiian Chicken and Rice and I had to share because it was so simple and yummy {and healthy!}.
Cut up chicken breast into bite sized pieces {you could also add the pieces whole and chop it after it's cooked, but I happen to like to chop ahead of time.}
I used about 4 large chicken breasts.
Add the chicken to the crock pot.
Cut up 1 med. sized green pepper into large chunks and throw them into the crock pot too.
Drain a large can of pineapple chunks, then toss the pineapple in the crock.
Add 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
Put the lid on and let cook for about 4 hours on low. If using frozen chicken you may need to add a little time. Keep an eye on it though because all crock pots cook at different rates and when you cut the chicken into bite sized pieces they tend to cook quicker.
When it's almost dinner time cook some brown rice according to package directions. Serve the rice with the chicken mixture over top {add some of the liquid too, it's yummy!}
I'm only a tiny fan of spicy things but I think this would also be great with a little crushed red pepper added to it.
PS. Some people don't like the taste of cooked pineapple {my daughters included}, but I would still add it for flavor and just let each person choose if they would rather not eat it.
Enjoy!
***hey - who wants to share some easy, healthy, crock pot recipes with me??!! Pretty, pretty please?????***
3 comments:
My mother in law makes something very similar.....some like the cooked pineapple and some don't in our home too. I like the idea of cutting it up into pieces before cooking, it seems that it would soak up more flavor. I plan to try this!
Sounds really good! Based on the way I do other recipes I would do this... cook them whole and frozen so as to get extra juice (and because I'm lazy!). Then about an hour before time to eat I would remove the meat and veggies and stir the rice into the left over liquid. This results in the yummiest flavorful rice :)
I have a recipe called snappy chicken that I do this with... even though the recipe doesn't call for it. It is SOOOO good!
Sounds scrumptious! I think I'll have to try it this week.
Post a Comment