Friday, September 3, 2010

Wellspring Academy Week One

We have had an incredible first week of school! I am thrilled to pieces at my two smart, dedicated girls!








They both greeted each task with good attitudes and both earned a star on our good attitude chart every single day this week! And even with a greater workload this year we are still done around lunchtime or shortly thereafter which is wonderful! It's been incredibly HOT here this week and we've enjoyed using our pool in the afternoons to beat the heat.

This year we've added Geography - we're using a book by Evan Moor called Daily Geography. This week we had fun learning all about a globe and the equator and hemispheres and continents.
As always, we have math and language/grammar every day.
One of the best highlights of my week was this precious note from my oldest ... completely not prompted by me, I swear!
The girls do spelling 3x per week, the first day they write the words on notebook paper, the 2nd day they write each word on the white board and the 3rd day they take a spelling test on all of the words.
I was cracking up today - the girls were doing their Spanish lesson on the computer and I saw they had all of their stuffed animals lined up to 'learn' too!
This is where the dogs like to be while we're working ... right UNDER our feet!
In science this year we're learning about Astronomy ... this week they learned some fascinating facts about Astronomy and decorated notebook covers and then did a quiz on what they learned at the end of the week.
In History we're doing a study about Native Americans and we over viewed 8 major tribes and mapped out where they were located. It was quite fun trying to pronounce some of the names of these tribes! {Tlingit is pronounced klink-it!}
We're looking forward to the holiday weekend filled with soccer practice, 2 birthday parties and a Labor day BBQ with friends. Next week will be a short, 4 day week for us and I'll update you on what we did next week!
Have a great weekend friends!!






2 comments:

Alicia K said...

Sounds like a great first week! Just love the note from your daughter - I keep things like that in my teacher notebook so I can easily pull them out to read on a bad day.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Alicia
www.kramercottageschool.blogspot.com

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

awwww, so glad it went well!