Monday, May 24, 2010

Don't Sacrifice Those Precious Memories!

I was enjoying reading this great post by Jessica Turner this morning and I really felt like it was something I needed to share.

All too often as Moms we allow the way we feel about our looks {weight, etc} to determine our fun level. I know far too many Moms who will never allow themselves to be seen in a swimsuit, let alone actually get in the water for some fun - simply because they feel bad about the way they look.

Now I'll be the first to admit that I struggle with body image. I am definitely heavier now than I was when I was younger. But I refuse to allow my body image to steal the opportunities for having fun with my kids!

As we get closer to summer I just want to encourage all of you - don't fall into this trap! Put your suit on, and no matter how you look or how you feel - get in the pool/lake/ocean and have some fun with your kids! Jump off the dock, do cannonballs into the pool, ride the waves ... your kids will love having fun with you in this way! You will make memories that will last a lifetime ... like Jessica says, the memories of your fun will last far longer than the memory of how you felt in your swimsuit.

One last side note ... LANDS END makes some of the most beautiful swimsuits that fit Moms well, look fantastic and help hide the flaws. I would highly recommend you check them out. And if the price seems a little high, it's worth it. My suits I've had from Lands End have lasted me 5 years! And yes, that is going in the pool, lake and ocean not just sitting by the side!

Here's a post I wrote last year about my fun summer .... what amazing memories I have from then - I hope to make many more this year too!

6 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Thanks for that reminder, Kathy - I read a great post the other day about remembering to be IN the photos with your kids. I've tried to be more intentional about that with Luke, even if I look like crap - I want him to know that I was right down there on the floor playing with him. :)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Hey Kathy, I gave you an award today! You can check it out on my blog.

Laurel said...

Thanks for the "FUN" reminder, Kathy. One of the many things that I admire about you is your decision to get in there and have fun with your blessings.

In Light of the Truth... said...

GREAT reminder and wonderful new perspective!

Janelle said...

I read this post and your post from last summer...I got all teary! I am so bad about having pictures taken or going in the water with the kids. I am happy to read this as the summer starts...hopefully I will be able to let go a little! Thanks for the reminders. =0)

MPH said...

God bless Lands End! I love their swimsuits and never feel uncomfortable in them. And I love that Lily asked for a skirted suit from Land End so she could look like me!

I wish we could hang out at the pool and beach together again this summer. Maybe next year...