Thursday, April 22, 2010

Homeschool Daze ....

Well, that's what we WERE in ... a daze, a fog, a thick cloud ....

But this week we have decided to shake things up! Our homeschool daze needed some butt kicking and so far we have had a great week! Yesterday was one of the best homeschool days we've had in a long time.

Here are some of the things we're doing ...

Here is my big plan book - lots of crossing out and re-working to come up with a new plan for each day ...
Each day we go outside for what we're calling 'ENERGY BURSTS' -- 10-15 minutes of doing something fun and active. This particular day it was bouncing on exercise balls ... {and yes, still a little chilly here some mornings as you can see by pants and sweatshirts!}
They LOVED it!

Another day, after school work was done ... we all went for a bike ride together as a family. {It was hubby's day off} ...
Since our weather has been beautiful this week, we have done a lot more work outside .... on the deck, on the swing, on a blanket on the grass ...
{this was science class}
Here the girls are doing Spanish on the computer ... then we went outside on the porch and did a Spanish flash card game together ...

This was our NEW thing - Story + Art = a great stART.... more on this later ...
Showing off their history work ...

We have also made sure to add in snack time, active time, break time and have just been having a lot more fun. Yesterday we were outside doing history and we were using an I Spy book as a hard place to write on ... after our work was done we ended up sitting there and doing the I Spy book together for about a half hour!! Just laying on the blanket in the sun, enjoying the time together ... not rushed, not worrying about which subject we needed to tackle next - just relaxed and fun.
I am really thankful that I have the privilege of teaching the girls at home. I know so often I get caught up in my own selfish desires and my own agenda and I fail miserably at making our homeschool days what they should be and what they could be. So I'm thanking the Lord today that He has woken up my spirit and shown me a way out of the daze ... and into fun filled days of learning together.









2 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

First of all, I definitely do NOT have it all together but I am flattered that you said that! :)

Second of all, can I just say that homeschooling looks like so much fun at your house?! Good for you for being willing to try new things. So happy you're finding a new routine that works for you guys!

Sandra said...

I just noticed the girls' haircuts. Adorable! That will be nice for summer and swimming.

Sandy