Tuesday, April 27, 2010

10 Things my kids aren't missing in school

First of all, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! But in case you don't feel like hopping over to read it, I'll cut and paste here too because I'd love to add my own comments. ha! You know me, never at a loss for something to say! ;)


Disclaimer:
I post this because I believe it is true of my experiences as a child and also because I am thankful that we are able to homeschool. I am not in any way suggesting that Homeschooling is for everyone, nor am I judging those who do not do it. The Lord calls each of us to parent and make choices for our own families and most times what works for one family may not be what He calls another family to do.

Here is the original post - my comments in red.
How many times have we told someone we’re homeschooling and heard, “What about prom?” (Our group offers one.) “What about a yearbook?’ (Yep, get one of those, too.) “What about hanging out with friends their own age? “ (Uh, yeah. Got it covered.)

While skeptics are quick to point out all the things they think my kids will be missing, I can’t help but think of all the things they’re not missing! Like…

Moving on in a lesson before they’re ready, or lagging behind until the rest of the class gets it. At home, they move at their own perfect pace. {we are finding this to be true right now with one of ours who is struggling in certain subjects - I can't help but think she'd be so far behind in traditional school with a teacher who can't stop and wait for her to finish and has to move on.}

Getting stuck with a teacher that doesn’t like them. They are now guaranteed to be teacher’s pet! {I dealt with this in 8th grade - awful teacher and he and I had a mutual distaste for one another all year}

Having to do PE when they have cramps. Their teacher now gives them the day off and some pampering to boot. {or how about getting to be at home when you have your period? taking a rest when you have cramps? not worrying that you are leaking at school? sorry if this is TMI for some of my readers but those early yrs when I first got my period and the days I had it at school were some of my worst days!}

Bullies and mean girls. I’ve yet to meet one in our homeschool community. {yep, dealt with this as a young girl too - man, girls can be SO mean! peer pressure is tough! not wearing the right brand name was a biggie when I was younger}

Needing permission to use the bathroom. Freedom to pee anytime! {OK, embarrassing story here - I actually wet my pants in the 2nd grade because the teacher refused to let me use the bathroom and I could not hold it any longer - I kid you not!}

Needing permission to get a drink of water. Drink up, kids! {although in my home I have a daughter who takes TOO many drink breaks - I'm thinking about outlawing drinks once school has started! haha!}

Waking up early. Or sometimes, even getting dressed. Which means we’re also not missing an hour of hair, makeup, and a possible fashion crisis every morning. {I could be wrong, but I think this is why my kids don't get sick too often - they sleep until they are well rested pretty much every day unless we have somewhere we need to be in the morning.}

Cafeteria food. Need I say more? {my Mom would die if she knew how many healthy lunches she sent with me to school that were thrown out! or that in high school, for one entire year I would not eat in the cafeteria so I had a candy bar and soda every day for lunch while sitting outside in the common area - what was I thinking??!!}

Peer pressure. Mom’s definitely not missing this one, either. {my Mom would also die to know that many days I packed a different set of clothes in my backpack and changed when I got to school because I didn't like what she wanted me to wear and just wanted to 'fit in' with my school friends.}

Exposure to media, lifestyles, advertising, celebrities, etc. that their parents don’t want them exposed to. That’s right, we’re sheltering them. And proud of it. {sheltering, or protecting? hard call. But I think in our culture kids are being forced to grow up too soon and are being exposed to far too much too early. What happened to maintaining some innocence in our little girls??}

What aren’t your kids missing?

{As you can probably gather, I didn't always make the best choices as a child, not did I have the best experiences in school. I did do well though and had plenty of friends. But it's those bad memories that we tend to remember the most, isn't it? It's those things like peeing my pants in front of my entire class that have caused permanent scars. I am thankful that my girls are home with me and we are having an incredible time taking this journey together. Don't for one second think it's all rosy and happy though - yesterday one of mine had a meltdown and refused to do her work. An all day battle ensued. So it's tough on days, but so worth it at the same time. }

Many blessings to all of you, my friends, I pray that whatever way you choose to 'school' your kids, that they will learn and grow and be blessed. And don't forget to pray, pray, pray! {Goodness knows I need to pray for our school days!}

3 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

I loved this post. I am planning on homeschooling Luke (and any other kids) through elementary school, and when I read posts like this, I can't wait! Having taught in many elementary schools, I have seen far too many of the things on your list come true (and I could add about 50 more!).

Mary said...

Thx for posting these things. I have planned to send my kids to public school but am not closed to home-schooling if our journey goes that way... Love the diff perspectives!

Amy said...

Love it. Again, thanks for the encouragement!