Monday, February 8, 2010

Other subjects

I totally forgot to come back and finish sharing about our homeschool curriculum and resources! So sorry! It's been a busy couple of weeks around here ... then again, when is it NOT a busy week?!

Anyway, a couple other items we include in our teaching time are Spanish and Manners. Our spanish program is a very basic one for beginners. I grew up learning french and never took spanish so I'm learning right along with the girls on this subject! I picked up this great boxed set called Hooked on Spanish - by the makers of Hooked on Phonics - at one of those big discount stores like BIG LOTS ... it was super cheap and we are really enjoying it. The program is done on the computer with fun, interactive games. But the box also includes flash cards for review, small story books to reinforce what they've learned, and charts with stickers to show their progress. The girls always beg me to do spanish which to me says a lot about what a great program this is!!
Manners. To me this is a big thing. I find the lack of respect and manners in today's culture to be absolutely repulsive. The year that my oldest spent in public school I was shocked and disgusted by the way the majority of students acted and the total lack of respect for their teachers and elders. I feel that there are too many American homes where respect for elders is completely non-existent and there are way too many brats being raised to think they don't have to respect adults. OK - coming down off my soapbox now .....*grin*
All that is to say that in our home, from day one, we have felt that respect and manners were important. That does not mean we are perfect or that my girls never burp loudly at the dinner table - BUT it does mean that we do not tolerate back talk or sassy talk or disrespect. And it means that we're trying our best to teach them good manners and behavior so that it's something that will stick with them for their lifetime.
So, I found this book of manners for girls {by the American girl company} at our bargain used book store for a couple dollars and the girls and I have been reading through it together. It even covers how to handle situations like being an overnight guest in someone's home or how to act when you are the birthday girl and you get a gift you don't like. There is a wide range of topics covered.
This is another 'subject' that my girls beg for. They love the book and are always excited to read it together. This Sunday we're going to put some of it into practice by having a formal, fancy Valentines dinner right here at home. We're going to dress up, decorate, and eat like we're dining at a very fancy restaurant. I think it's fun to role play these things with the girls so they will know how to handle themselves when they are in a fancy place.

I'm sure I will think of more things later - but for now I think that's all.

Here's a question ... one area of 'school' that we totally fail in {as in it's non-existent in our homeschool day} is MUSIC ... I am what some would call musically challenged and have no idea how to teach or introduce it in our home. Hope does take piano lessons - but other than that we do nothing. Would love to hear from some of you about what you use and enjoy and how you incorporate music into your school days. Thanks!

No comments: