Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Favorite Books

As most of you know, I'm a total book nerd. I love to read, love books and just can't get enough of them. A friend recently asked me for some of my favorite reads ... and books I'd recommend for growth. Oh boy do I have a lot! There are two main areas of reading that I enjoy most. First is Christian fiction. I have loved Christian fiction since I was a young girl. As a young teen I began reading Janette Oke's 'Love Comes Softly' series and fell in love with that type of book. Since then I have gone on to read hundreds more Christian fiction books.



My second area of interest is non-fiction - something that I guess I would label as 'self-help' ... though I admit I don't love that title. I basically like books that help me learn and grow as a person, Mom, wife, Christian, friend, etc..



So, here is my list:

For Christian fiction books I have read most {thought not all} books by the following authors ~
Janette Oke
Beverly Lewis
Karen Kingsbury
Neta Jackson
Lori Wick


Although these books are fiction, I have still learned through them and experienced real life growth. Just because a book is fiction does not mean the story lines won't affect you. Through many of these books the characters face suffering, death and difficult times and their faith and perseverance have encouraged me through many of my own tough situations in life.


My three all time favorite Christian fiction series are:
#1 The Yada Yada Prayer group by Neta Jackson. She also has a spin off series which currently has 2 books and another on the way this June. I have truly grown and learned so much about my own faith and prayer life through these fiction books!

#2 The Love Comes Softly Series by Janette Oke. As I said, one of the first sets I began reading as a young teen - made a big impact on me at that time and some day when I get the chance I hope to re-read them!
#3 The Redemption series by Karen Kingsbury - which also has 2 spin off series from it making it a total of 14 books altogether!



On the topic of parenting I have read many, many good books. Books that enforce Biblical standards and have really helped me as a Mom as I seek to train and teach my young ones in God's ways. I believe this is going to be an ongoing journey throughout my life as a Mom, and believe that I will always have to learn and grow. I can never get comfortable and say that I have done enough or that because they are obeying more that my job is done. There will always be new challenges and ways for me to grow.



Some of my fave parenting books so far have been:


Taking Care of the Me In Mommy by Lisa Welchel ~ this is one we are currently doing with our MOMS group at church. I can't stress enough how important it is as a Mom to take care of yourself! Your spirit, soul, physical needs, etc ... all these things will help you be the best Mom God has intended you to be. Lisa's book offers great suggestions and in her typical funny, real-life style she will make you feel at ease right away.

Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel ~ a great resource book that I refer to time and time again. She offers scripture to back up each correction for each behavior which I love!



Don't Make me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman ~ it's been awhile since I read this one but I remember it being very easy to read and very applicable to raising Godly kids.


Dare to Discipline by Dr. James Dobson ~ one of the first books I read on parenting - a classic. Dr. Dobson is right on the money.



Making Children Mind without Losing Yours by Dr. Kevin Leman ~ another great man of God who has wonderful parenting advice. He has several other books on parenting and all are worth a look.
Becoming the Parent God wants you to be by Dr. Kevin Leman ~ this one is a study guide - I love that you can work through it by answering the questions. I think I need to pick this one up again and read more about the middle years stuff!



The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd ~ the title says it all ~ our kids deserve a Mom who is positive and encouraging. This is one of my all time faves and I know I will read it again and again.


Mom and Loving It by Sharon Lovejoy Autry and Laurie Lovejoy Hilliard ~ another fave of mine. Helps you see the joy even in the little things and tough moments of Mom-hood.



On the topic of marriage or being a Godly wife my faves are:



A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George ~ this is one of the single most influential books I've ever read. She also writes about A Wife after God's own heart - but most of the concepts are the same in this book. I have learned SO much about being a Godly woman, wife and Mom from this book.



Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl ~ I know some have thought this book a bit extreme and I will admit some of her thoughts are a bit far out for me. However the general concept that we were created to be our husband's helpmeet and that no matter what he does, or doesn't do - we are obligated to GOD to be the wife we were called to be is something that I will never forget. I used to be a wife that thought 'well if he won't romance me, I won't give him sex ... or if he won't bring me flowers, why should I help do his laundry' ... I now think - God has called me to obey HIM and do all for HIS glory. I am Bob's wife and I need to honor God by being the proper wife I was called to be - regardless of what I gain in return from Bob. Definitely a big change in my thinking - but totally wish I had read this book when I first got married - might have saved me from making so many silly mistakes!


The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian~ this is something I'm currently reading. I admit that I haven't been a faithful prayer warrior for my hubby for years. I'm trying to change that now. I think this is something I will read a little of every morning and try to read over and over again and just keep on praying and praying and praying for my hubby.



For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn~ this book will truly open your eyes to the way men think and why they are so different from us. For example - did you know that your love is not enough for him? However respect means the world to him. Respect means more to him than even your affection does! That's the way God wired men to be! To quote the book, "men would rather feel alone and unloved, than inadequate and disrespected." There are so many good things to learn from this little, easy to read book.



On the topic of homeschooling:



Help for the Harried Homeschooler by Christine Field ~ don't let the title fool you, it's not about being 'harried' ... it's more just a really encouraging book about homeschooling. I loved it.



50 Veteran Homeschoolers Share ~ Things we Wish We'd Known ~ another very helpful resource - lots of great wisdom here from parents who have homeschooled for years.



So You're Thinking about Homeschooling? by Lisa Welchel ~ I read this when I was considering homeschooling and found it to be immensely helpful in making our decision. And once again, I love Lisa Welchel and anything she's written.


For personal quiet times I really enjoy using some type of guided prayer journal. I also usually keep a blank journal for adding other prayer requests, thoughts, etc ... But two of my fave guided prayer journals have been:
The Yada Yada Prayer journal by Neta Jackson


And The Busy Mom's Guide to Prayer by Lisa Welchel
A couple random final book faves of mine are:

The Duggars, 20 and Counting. Say what you wish about this very large family - but I for one admire their faith and Godly example even more after reading their book. I choose not to have that many children, but I do not in any way judge them for their choice. This book helps illustrate even more how their faith in God has carried them through all the ups and downs of life. They truly live out their faith in every way. I was skeptical about things like how they could possibly spend time with each of those kids - but reading this book made me see even more what an amazing family they are.

And a final fave is The Invisible Woman by Nicole Johnson - sorry I thought I uploaded the image of it but guess I was mistaken. There are SO many times I feel invisible. Like just going through the motions of being a wife and Mom is so mundane and that no one would even notice if I was gone. This book is amazing and will encourage you to keep going, keep pressing on. Just like the helpmeet book it helps you see that it's for HIS glory, not my own. That's something I needed to be reminded of DAILY! It's a very small book and you could probably read it in a day or two at most - so worth it!

One final note. I will be the first to admit that I'm not faithful with my quiet time with the Lord. I'm a lowly sinner who messes up constantly! I make poor choices and I fail - A LOT! But when I am faithful to include quiet time in my day I do find so much more strength and peace in my life. SO let me encourage you {and myself} that it's totally worth it to make time for quiet time with the Lord. If you can't manage it in the morning - do it in the afternoon. Some days I do it while my girls are having their quiet reading time. They have to read on their beds for an hour - so I take that opportunity to sit and quiet my heart before the Lord too. Besides praying and reading my Bible - this is the time when I read many of these books for growth. Even spending 15-20 min reading something each day will help you learn and grow so much! You can use some of these books as a Bible study - many of them include scripture - just take the time to jot down the scriptures in a notebook, then make time to look them up, write them out, ponder them, pray them, etc.. This is a great way to grow in your knowledge and in the Lord.

And that's all I can think of for now! I would love to hear what your fave books are too - if you write a post about it please comment here so I can come check it out!

Have a lovely weekend friends!




I'm linking this post to Kelly's Show Us Your Life - Favorite Books ... click on the button to go to Kelly's blog and see more SUYL posts!
Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

8 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

OH my goodness, your girls look ADORABLE in their Valentines pic! Love it!

kbmama said...

Great Book List! I will have to check out a few of the Lisa W's other books. Thank you for getting me started on Christian Fiction!

Christina said...

I wrote a lot of titles down. Thanks Kathy! You might also want to check out Tracie Peterson's Christian fiction. I'm finishing up her newest series set in Montana druing gold rush days.

Carrie Benjamin said...

I love many of the same books:)
I would like to suggest Francine Rivers Redeeming Love. It is a wonderful love story. She also wrote Sin Eater.. it is a little harder to get into.. you have to hang in there thru chapter 4... then its great. God used both of these books to speak to my heart.
Enjoy..
Carrie Benjamin
Tulsa

Lisa said...

I'm a huge Karen Kingsbury fan. I will have to read some of the other authors you listed. Creative Correction is great!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

Love your homeschool resources! Became a follower!

elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing your love of children's books! You and your family will love tiger tales books (I hope!). We are a small publisher of whimsical, colorful, touching, magical picture books and board books for young children. Please check us out on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Wilton-CT/tiger-tales/183496001305?ref=ts
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales

Unknown said...

I just book marked you and I love your book picks some i will get on amazon if you part with your books would you be willing to send me yadayada books media mail and I could send you some of my books? of course you could pick titles first.. I love those books yada yada and all my friends read them but me.. and if you dont'recycle them as they are your favorite I understand and i will order from amazon
my email is eatmywords40@yahoo.com
my blog is Wasabi Mommy
http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com