Monday, January 5, 2009

Miss Smarty Jeans

First, a little background story ...

My daughter has the worst time finding jeans that fit her. Actually, finding ANY pants that fit her. See she's a 'normal' sized kid living in a world where all the clothes are made 'slim fit'. It's awful. It's been frustrating on many occasions to go into a store and try on 10 or more pairs of jeans in sizes WAY too large for my child - and still have not a single pair be able to get over her thighs and butt.

And I'm not being an over-protective parent when I say this - but my child is no where near overweight or fat. She is very healthy and very athletic, but she does have thighs and a butt and is not a 'slim fit' girl.

So for a long time now we've resorted to buying her stretchy pants or wearing skirts. But she's a typical 7 year old girl and she loves jeans. She wants to wear jeans and be like all her friends that wear jeans. (And no it's not a school thing, remember, we homeschool?) She begs me to take her jeans shopping all the time and we always leave the stores frustrated.

Anyway, getting on to the story ... today I felt like I actually had the patience to deal with jeans shopping so we went to the mall and I decided to try GAP. I hardly ever go in there and anything my girls have that is GAP was bought at the consignment shop - not full price! But I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, GAP has these wonderful jeans in PLUS sizes for kids! How wonderful! Problem is, that the PLUS is actually TOO big for my child. (I told you, she' s just normal!) So we try on the 'regular' fit ones too ... and I hold my breath as I wait outside the fitting room door ...

AND THEY FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly! And she loves them! woohoo, success, finally!

So we did find one pair of plus size that you could pull those little tabs tighter on the inside of the pant - you know what I mean? So she ends up with these 2 pairs that she likes.

Oh, and you have to know that because she does have plenty of clothes at home already and it's not like she 'needs' the jeans, I had told her that we'd go jean shopping but that she'd have to use her own money to buy them. And no, I am NOT a mean mommy! She had almost $100 saved from birthdays, teeth and Christmas ... so she had plenty to spend on jeans and of course Mommy's always halfway to broke! Just kidding, but you understand, right?

Anyway, so we go to check out with the 2 pairs of jeans and I squeak out a little compassion for her and say 'How about I'll pay for one pair and you can pay for the other, sound good?'

One pair is $20 and one pair is $15 -- yes, it's way too much for children's jeans but don't even go there with me ... remember the long struggle we've had looking for jeans??!!

So H replies to me, 'Can I buy the $15 ones and you buy the $20 ones?'

????!!!!!! Are you kidding me? I've just been outsmarted by my 7 year old! She has more money than me and she wants ME to pay for the more expensive jeans??!!
Even the checkout girl was laughing ...

So you know what I did, right? I paid for the more expensive pair. 'Cause that's what Moms do. =)

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I will have to check that out. My Haley has the same problem. I sometimes get lucky with larger size capris at Walmart. It's kind of seasonal, but cheap.

Mary said...

I love this story! And $20 is NOTHING compared to clothing prices in Canada, especially for Gap.
I have the slim fit girl and we have difficulties just the same. For pants to fit V in length, they float on her waist. So we resort to jogging pants and skirts too! I would pay up to $30 for a good quality pair of pants that a kid would actually wear regularly. So you did really good! Even if your child is outsmarting you. haha!
(Side note: I don't buy my daughter much bcs we still get hand-me-downs. Yay!)

Julie Womer said...

We have the same problem in our home with Haylee, which you already know, because we have talked about this problem before!

I LOVE the Gap Plus size Jeans. I found a pair last year and thought $20 was a lot, but like you had no other choice! Lands End online also has Plus Size's:)

I always feel bad for Haylee because it's frustrating for her.
From Sandy's comment, sounds like the 3 H's have this in common.

Angela said...

Did you know that Target now has plus sizes for girls?? I found that out with Autumn, I have a hard time buying jeans for her too, but was able to get a 10 plus for her, and they fit!
You're a great Mom!! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute story:)

Anonymous said...

you are a great mommy! they have us around their little fingers, don't they?

Andrea said...

Yay! I'm so glad you found some jeans finally!:) My SIL swears by Gap jeans...she's an amazing shopper and always waits 'til she finds big bargains there.:) You're such a great mommy!