Thursday, June 26, 2008

The unbreakable bond

I've always been intrigued by the bond between sisters. I never had any sisters, but always longed to have one just so I could know the feeling of that deeply rooted bond.

My Mom had 4 sisters, my Mother in law had 3. I've seen the times when sisters don't get along, don't share the same viewpoints, or lifestyles, or thoughts on parenting ... but I've also seen (and heard) the stories of late nights talking and whispering, shared clothes and shoes, memories of funny experiences ...

My daughters have this bond. I was thrilled to pieces the day we found out that our second born would be another girl. My longing for a sister was about to be lived out in my daughter's lives.

My daughters fight. A lot. Every day. All the time. About everything. You see the bond of sisterhood does not mean you will always get along. They have very different views of life, very different personalities and very different ways of doing things. So they fight. And they argue. About everything.

But then ... there are those times ... times when I find them huddled together reading a book, or playing make believe out in the yard, or lying side by side 'sunning' on their beach towels ...

The day I took this picture (a couple weeks ago) we were sitting at the beach while the girls played. After a little while I noticed they had moved about 200 yards down the beach away from us and had set up this little spot for themselves. They were lying there talking and relaxing and as soon as I saw it I grabbed my camera and ran to capture this precious sisterly moment.

Yesterday another moment like this happened. They played in the pool for awhile. Sometimes fighting and sometimes getting along. Later they decided to get out and play in the yard. I was inside doing housework when I glanced out the window to check on them. They were sitting in the top of the swingset/fort and were just chatting away with one another. They later took pillows and towels out there and set up little beds - side by side. Then came supper time and they chose to bring their supper out to their little 'home' to have a picnic. It was wonderful, they were getting along so well and really enjoying one another so much!

I am so thankful that my girls have one another. I am always trying to teach them that they are so blessed to have a sister, a very best friend, to play with and talk with every single day. {Of course they don't always see it that way ... but I'm thankful for the times when they do!}

Right at this very moment ... I can hear them listening to music in H's room and chatting together. Ahhh, love those moments!

No comments: