Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our plan for the summer

Yes we are done with homeschooling for the year ... and yes we plan to take the summer off to enjoy the pool, the beach and lots of time with friends and family. BUT, as we all know, kids do seem to need some structure, some sense of a daily schedule or at least a little bit of learning time.

So for right now I have a few plans that I'm working on.

1. The first would be weekly playdates with friends. At least one day a week (maybe more depending on the week) to get out of the house and spend time with other friends. I think the girls will really look forward to it and it will also give me some "Mom" time with other friends.

2. Summer reading is number two. We plan to read at least one children's book every day, and I myself have a list of books I'd like to get through as well. And if we decide to homeschool again I will also be spending a bunch of time reading the new materials and planning our 08-09 year. I added a list to the sidebar if you'd like to follow what we're currently reading. I gave H 4 new Junie B. books as a end of the school year gift and she already completed one in the first day!

3. Creative writing. This is something I loved as a child and the girls have really gotten interested in this past year too. They have booklets where they can draw a picture and then write about it, or simply write a story if they wish. I also have some story starters for those days when they just can't seem to think of something to write about. This is not something that we will sit and do everyday, but maybe once or twice a week.

4. They recieved a great Bird book today from my in laws along with bird feeders and journals. They are very excited about looking out the windows for birds and finding them in the book, then journaling about them. In fact, they could find birds everywhere we go, the beach will be a great place to see birds!

5. Then of course we'll need to squeeze in weekend trips out on the in laws boat and days at the beach ... weekend campfires with family and friends ... possibly an overnight camping trip or two ... and lots of hours in the pool. Looks like we'll have plenty to keep us busy!

For those that live close, don't be shy -- we are planning to be home most weekdays to save on gas so if you want to come over to swim and play we will almost always be here. Please feel free to call us up and come over - we WANT you to come!

No comments: