Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Extreme Makeover - bathroom edition!

As I have mentioned before, I've been seriously inspired lately by a great blog called 'The Nesting Place'. (See link to the right --->)

Anyway, I have been wanting to make some changes to my (one and only) bathroom and while I was spring cleaning one day I got a little bit carried away! (I mentioned this before.) I decided right then and there that the wallpaper border just had to come down. And with no further plans I just got to work.

The bathroom has these green floor tiles, and I used to think that I had to try to match things in the room to the tiles, even though I really don't like the color of green that they are. Lately though I had this thought that I would just ignore the tiles and decorate any way I wished. Just forget about the green altogether. So since our cabinet and sink are black and white, and our walls a nice tan color, I decided to go with a black and white theme. And since we love the beach and water so much, I made the decor center around those things. This whole re-do was VERY inexpensive ... I bought all my fabric at this great shop where everything costs just $1.99 a yard! And many of my updates were made simply by using a can of black spray paint which cost me just 97 cents at walmart!

Here are some before and after photos ... Before ...
During ... what a MESS!
After ... it's so narrow that it's hard to see ... I used black spray paint to do the curtain rod and towel cabinet.
Curtain after ...
Frilly polka dot fabric on top of curtain ...
Bottom of curtain...
Shower curtain after ...
Fun, frilly trim on shower curtain...
New black curtain rod and cute black curtain clips ...
Since we love the beach, we have our palm plant in a new black planter, with shells surrounding the base... Shells and seaglass in a white dish on the counter. I found the dish at goodwill for $1.49!
Black and white pictures of the beach or waterfalls ... And this, my friends, is my favorite part! The best part about the Nesting Place is that her motto is "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful" ... well I definitely used that theme with this magazine basket! I hot-glued the fabric into the basket - I didn't even do ONE bit of sewing! As you can see from the inside, it's certainly not perfect, but once you add the magazines, you will never notice! Isn't it cute???
So ladies, it doesn't have to be perfect (or expensive!) to be beautiful!

5 comments:

Merriann said...

Kathy,
HOW BEAUTIFUL the bathroom is!!! WOW can you pass down some of those sewing skills and creative ideas? lol I can't hardly sew a button on a shirt! I really love the deals you got and the mag basket TOO CUTE!!

Merriann said...

Kathy,
HOW BEAUTIFUL the bathroom is!!! WOW can you pass down some of those sewing skills and creative ideas? lol I can't hardly sew a button on a shirt! I really love the deals you got and the mag basket TOO CUTE!!

Unknown said...

Great job on the bathroom!!! :)

Caroline said...

Nice job Kathy! The curtain is so cute! You've inspired me - to hot glue not sew though :)! I'm not that talented!

Anonymous said...

You have a real eye for decor! It looks very sophisticated--love the black.
Awesome....