I mentioned a couple posts ago that I signed up to run a 5k on Thanksgiving day. Now before you think I'm crazy, or that I've been running all my life, please hear me out!
At this point I haven't actually run the race yet so it may sound cocky to say, but I really do think ANYONE can run a 5k.
I have probably made it known on here that I LOATHE exercise and I LOVE to eat. A terrible combination, right?!
For the past several years I have started and stopped diets and exercise plans at least a dozen or more times. I'm one of those people that starts out doing well on Mon, Tue, Wed and Thur and then ruins all my good work by being lazy and splurging too much on Fri-Sun. ;)
I have also always been the kind of person to make excuses and say that because I'm a busy homeschool Mom I just don't have time for exercise. Or that I can't go to the gym because I have the girls with me all day, every day.
Well I'm not sure what changed, but this fall I began to notice that I had gained a bunch of weight over the summer. I couldn't fit in most of my clothes and could not afford to go out and buy new, bigger ones. I have a closet full of things that are just too small and tight. And it's really NOT in our budget to go out and get a whole new wardrobe! I guess all that loathing exercise and loving food finally caught up with me!
I decided to try 'learning' to run. I know that sounds silly but when I first got started I could not even run for ONE full minute without stopping to walk. So I loosely followed a plan called the 'Couch to 5k' plan which is something I would highly recommend for anyone who would like to learn how to run. You start off really easy by running 30 seconds, then walking 2 minutes and you keep doing intervals like that. Each week you increase your running time as you slowly decrease your walking time. All of the sudden you are running most of the time and hardly walking at all!
As of this week I can run between 2 and 3 miles without stopping. It's still not easy. It's still hurts almost every time. I literally have a running conversation with myself in my head the WHOLE time - it goes something like this - keep going, you CAN do this, don't stop, YES, you CAN do all things through Christ who gives you strength, almost there, hang in there, don't quit, not much further .... and so on and so on. I can't talk to other people when I run because I'm too busy 'talking' to myself! hahaha
As of right now my plan is that I run 3 times per week and on the in-between days I do some other form of exercise. My current faves are the TurboJam videos which I can do in the comfort of my own home. Some days I do the elliptical machine, meet a friend to walk, or go for a hike with my family. And then I always take Sundays off to rest. So my goal is to exercise 6 days per week.
Out of the past 32 days I have done 23 days of exercise. I have missed some days but instead of feeling like I've failed, I just pick myself up and move on. As someone who has constantly failed to make exercise consistent in my life I am very amazed at what I've accomplished this month. I'm not trying to be proud or cocky - just trying to encourage everyone that it IS possible.
They say it takes 21 days to make a new habit stick. I'm really hoping and praying that this will stick and that I will stick with it even in the coming winter months. I admit I'm a little fearful of how I will run once the weather is too cold or how I will keep up with this. But I'm praying that I will just keep doing my best.
Finally, I can't really say that I've lost any weight or that my clothes are all fitting better now. But I KNOW that I'm making better choices for my health. And I can feel my endurance getting stronger. I still splurge on treats sometimes but I'm trying to just focus on being a healthy person and not worry so much about what the scale says.
Oh yeah - yes it IS so hard to make the time to schedule exercise. But Bob has been super supportive of me and helps out any time he can. I also take advantage of things like when the kids are at soccer practice - instead of sitting in a chair watching the practice, I walk/run laps around the field. Or while they are at Awana I walk around the mall. I also have to rearrange our schedule some days so that I can run before hubby goes to work or things like that. It takes a lot of juggling but it's so worth it. And the TurboJam videos I do many days while the girls are playing together in the afternoons. Some times they even sit and watch me! I think it's great that they see their Mom making good health a priority.
So anyway, sorry this has gotten so long winded. I guess my point is that if I can go from not being able to run for a full minute without stopping to being almost prepared to run in a 5k - YOU CAN TOO!
Check out the Couch to 5k plan and remember YOU CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES YOU STRENGTH! PHIL 4:13
4 comments:
Ugh. I can so relate. I, too, love to eat and hate to exercise. It's definitely catching up with me. I've got to start exercising on a regular basis. I'm tired all of the time, but it's probably b/c I'm not exercising. Way to go to give yourself a running challenge! You can do it!
I think it is great how you are committed to exercising. It is hard work to keep going, even when you feel like giving up. I wish I could run, but an old running injury keeps me from getting out and enjoying the 'runners high'! Great job on keeping up the exercise.
Kelly
ps. I, too, think it is a great example for our kids when they see us consistently making healthy choices. My kids watch me do the P90X almost every day or they ask me when I'm going to work out. My kids know it is part of my life!
Great job, Kathy!! You're doing awesome, and I'm so proud of you! Another friend of mine has learned how to run this year and has lost quite a bit of weight in the process--makes me almost think about running too. But I honestly don't know HOW to make it happen. If I had a treadmill at home I could MAYBE, but with Kevin working so late into the day there's literally no time for me to get out on my own for something like that. And I won't go out at night--too scary. So arg, I really want to find something that works for me and my life right now!!!
Great job Kathy. I too just despise exercise and love sugar! Good for you!
Post a Comment