Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wellspring Academy Week 5!

Holy Moly, it's been another week already?! Where does the time go? Well last weekend I had the amazing opportunity to attend a women's conference at a great Christian camp here in New England and then I feel like the rest of the week was a total blur! We had a busy and fun week including lots and lots of rain and wind ... and ONE nice, hot, sunny day in the middle of the week. We were also babysitting little R that day so we went to the library and the park and had a really nice day.

Aside from that it was a typical week {is there really such a thing?!} and we continued in our studies as usual. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't take any pictures this week. I need to be better about that!

But there was one day that stood out and I wanted to share a little story from it. We have been learning about the Inuits of the Arctic in our history course and on Thursday the girls were assigned to write a story about what it would be like to live on the frozen tundra like the Inuit did. They both slumped in their seats and proceeded to give lots of grumbles about how they couldn't think of anything to write and they had nothing creative to say.

I told them that they had to complete the assignment before we could move on to anything other fun things for the day, no matter how long it took. After talking for a few minutes my oldest said 'oh, you want us to MAKE UP a story?' and I was like 'YES, be creative! Make something up!' So finally they got writing once they understood what they had to do! LOL

AND, they ended up blowing me out of the water ... they wrote out their stories, then they shooed me out of the school room for awhile and they planned a play to act out what they had written. About 20 min later they called me back in where they had set up props and they acted out the whole story that they wrote! I videotaped it and I was just sooooo impressed! I love how they chose to change their attitudes and not only do their best but actually put a lot of creative thought into it. They did a wonderful job! I love how these types of things can really be living lessons and hope that it will really help them remember more of what they've learned.

I do have two photos to share with you ... when I was at Ladies camp last weekend the moon looked absolutely stunning, so I went out at night and used me super zoom and snapped this great shot! I love how you can see the texture and different colors of the moon - I've never seen it so close {with the exception of professionally taken photos}. I thought it was a neat picture to show the girls since we are studying Astronomy.

And the leaves are just starting to change - I love when there is still a little of the fresh green color mixed in with some gorgeous splashes of color!

Next up - more about the Ladies retreat!!!
Have a great week friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful week, Kathy. That's a great story about the girls! Thanks for sharing it.
Your shot of the moon is AMAZING! Wow, wow, wow!