I read a lot of blogs ... A LOT. Some of the blogs I read are very popular, they have hundreds of followers ... some even have thousands. Sometimes I can get caught up in thinking that these women are 'famous' bloggers, that they are carving out a place in this world because of their popularity. They attend all the blogger conferences, they have all the products made by other popular bloggers, they know each other on a personal level.
Are you following me? Do you know some of the ones I'm speaking of? Many of their buttons are over there on the right hand side of my home page. ----->>>>
But the reason I like to follow their blogs isn't because of their popularity. It isn't because they are creative home decorators, fabulous photographers or amazing 'super-moms'. I read their blogs because these are amazing women who know and love the Lord. Women who don't care whether they have a thousand followers but care more about living and sharing their faith.
One such blogger is Angie Smith from the blog Bring the Rain. She recently attended the Relevant bloggers conference and was sharing her thoughts on her most recent post. I think you should all go read it, it's fabulous and she is just the most real, honest, wonderful person. She is the classic example of a 'famous' blogger who cares nothing of her own popularity. She is married to one of the singers in the Christian band Selah and she is an author too. But she's so down to earth and seems like the most gracious person ever. Her post really encouraged me to keep things in perspective. Many days I allow myself to feel guilty because I haven't blogged enough or kept up with all of this enough. But when I'm busy not-blogging, it means that I'm busy doing my 'real' work - raising my girls, teaching them, being with them, keeping my home, etc. I need to remember this and let go of the guilt and worry. It doesn't matter if I have 2 followers or 200. What matters is what I'm doing for the Lord.
Here is a quote from Angie that really struck a chord with me ... when you're done, hop over and read her full post ... and be blessed!
"We have each been given a gift to be used to further the Kingdom of God. Your worth isn't on the spine of a book or the statistics of your blog. You aren't going to be judged by how many followers you had (As Ann so wonderfully said, "Jesus only had 12 followers..." :) ) or the way you curl your hair. And in this crazy world of blogging, sometimes the most powerful thing we can do is to close the computer. I needed to hear all those words."
1 comment:
I know what you mean. I try not to get caught up in the frequency of my posts. My kids' blog is updated as I update their journals (Word docs) and my APE blog is pretty random as the mood strikes.
I love google reader so I can follow blogs with ease. If someone doesn't update for awhile, I don't even notice because I follow so many. I just enjoy reading!
I love that line about Jesus having 12 followers! That's perspective isn't it!
Post a Comment