Here is the inside of the fridge as I was cleaning it - I'm soooo thankful to have a fridge in which every shelf and drawer can come completely out so I can clean the inside and also scrub down the shelves and drawers in the sink.
Yesterday I did a similar 'deep clean' of my youngest daughter's room. You need to know in advance that I DO require my kids to clean their own rooms, but sometimes it's just time for Mom to step in and REALLY clean.
Her bedroom is teeny, tiny. Maybe 8 ft x 10 ft? Some people have walk in closets bigger than Joy's room!! And because it's so small, and because she's a girl, and because little girls love to have lots of stuff, and love to collect things --- it's always messy and overcrowded!
And so, while she was at Grandma's house yesterday afternoon, I spent about 4 hours deep cleaning her room. I got rid of lots of trash, vacuumed, sorted, organized, removed some items that were just taking up too much space, dusted and just got it all back in shape again.
Here is the end result ...
Now, will it last? Probably not for too long. :) But at least it's good to get in each room and deep clean them every so often.
*********************************************************************
Today I woke up and had a big smile on my face. Would you like to know why?
Well, typically my house can get pretty messy. It's a small house and there always seems to be things dumped in places where they don't belong. Oh sure, we have our moments when it's clean - like on cleaning day. But by the next day it's already messy again. I know - such is the life with kids and dogs! But I get so discouraged when it seems that all my efforts are in vain. I clear the counter tops and enjoy how nice they look, only to have them cluttered up the next day!
But over the past week I've been making a greater effort to work on keeping my home clean. Not just on cleaning days, but every day. So many times I'm guilty of using something, and instead of returning it to it's proper place, I dump it somewhere - and there it sits for DAYS! Like I'll use a hammer to hang up a picture, then instead of returning the hammer to the garage, I'll leave it sitting on the kitchen counter for a week!!
I'm come to realize that I'm just lazy a lot of the time! I have a busy life with keeping a home, being a wife, homeschooling and raising daughters, running to all their activities, being involved at church, spending time with family and friends ... but just because I'm busy or tired or lazy doesn't mean I can walk past that hammer every day for a week instead of simply putting it back where it belongs as soon as I'm done with it. Isn't it funny that much of the mess and disorder in my home is actually from ME!? It's not just the dogs, kids or hubby - I'm just as guilty, if not more!
So why did I wake up smiling you ask ... because I climbed out of bed and my room was CLEAN, as in no piles of items on the floor, no pile of dirty laundry, no piles of clean clothes on the dressers. Clean. And I walked into the kitchen and it was ---- you guessed it - CLEAN. And I sat with my coffee in the living room and it was - CLEAN! No baskets full of clothes waiting to be folded, no cups and plates on the end tables, no newspapers strewn on the floor.
In my home there are a few areas that are always a trap for me - here is my practical advice for keeping up with them ...
**living room** As I mentioned above, laundry usually sits in PILES in my living room. Baskets full of folded, or unfolded laundry always sit on my couches. My new resolve is this - when I bring a load of clean laundry upstairs, it gets folded immediately and everything put away immediately - this is a GREAT chore to get your kids involved with!
**kitchen** I'm super guilty of piling dirty dishes in the sink - which drives my hubby crazy! I'm also guilty of using the kitchen for a meal, or to bake - then leaving it messy till the next meal or even the next day! My new resolve - put dishes directly into the dishwasher instead of in the sink. If it's full of clean stuff, empty it {another great chore for kids}. Clean up the whole kitchen after a meal, it only takes a few minutes to wipe down the counters, throw trash away and do a quick sweep. My girls LOVE to sweep - something else you can get your kids to do. Walk away with a clean kitchen!
**bathroom** Sink and countertop are always nasty. My new resolve - wipe them down daily. Another chore to get the kids to do - soooo easy, give them a clorox wipe or a wet washcloth and it's done in minutes.
**laundry** As I said, just keeping up with it. Wash, dry, fold, put away. DONE. I also find that I keep up with it better when I remember to change the loads. We have to let our dogs out the back door several times per day - and the back door is right next to my washer and dryer. So each time I let them out, starting with the first thing in the morning when I wake up, I throw a load in the wash and a load in the dryer ... and just keep it going!
**school room** We have so many books, supplies and crafty items. It can become so messy. Now, we clean up at the end of each school day. Which means when we come back to do school the next day, it's already nice and clean and ready for us!
Most of these things don't have to be daunting tasks - get your kids involved! Even very small kids can fold and put away hand towels or wipe down the sink!
Now I'm going to ask some advice ... there are still some areas that I struggle with. Our 'master' {which really is just a normal sized bedroom} is always the dumping grounds. When I clean the house, I take everything and dump it in my room! I need help! What are some ways to keep our room neat and clean and not have it be the dumping grounds? I want it to be our sanctuary, not our dump!
Also, papers, magazines, mail and such. We don't have an office or a desk area so I always seem to have paper and clutter like that laying everywhere! What are your best tips for this stuff? I feel like I need these things to be somewhat near the kitchen just because it seems to be the center of the home and where I go to find important information. So how can I tame the paper clutter?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these areas!
I also want to say that I KNOW, believe me I know that it's hard to keep up with a house and a family. I'm not trying to lay any guilt trips on anyone. I just know that for myself, it's been a few simple changes that have helped me and I really do love my home so much more when it's cleaned up. I also find that I have more time for the important things in life when I have things in order. I also don't go through my days feeling completely overwhelmed and stressed. Clean really does have a calming effect! Just doing small things as you go through your day can help a LOT! As you take some towels to the bathroom, you pass a hairbrush on the countertop - instead of walking by, take the brush with you and put it away. Little things make a big difference!
I can't wait to hear what some of your clean ideas and strategies are!
1 comment:
First of all, AWESOME job on your deep cleaning!! ( I love Joy's doll house shaped shelves, by the way!) I am so consumed with the basics, I NEVER deep clean! kevin's better at THAT than I am! Which is sad. I have the same trouble areas you have--master bedroom (also just the same as any other bedroom)--it gets so dusty and cluttered! I'm REALLY trying to get laundry put away as soon as it's done but it's still a struggle! Mail--I have a small basket that mail can stand vertically in. We fill that and when it's finally full we sit down and sort it all into our file cabinet or trash it. I have a box (diaper box) next to our office recliner where I've been putting magazines. And any other newspapers and junk mail go straight to the trash can or a pile behind our couch to burn. I wish I had more strategies for you, but I'm still trying to figure it out too!! But I too love LOVE when everything's clean and tidy! It just makes you feel so GOOD! And I know Kevin does too! So I need to keep at it and find little tricks that work for us!
Post a Comment