Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2008. Seems like a total blur already! Time just passes way too fast in my opinion.

Well first I feel like I owe an explanation. I was adding to my days of thanks every day last week leading up to Thanksgiving day. On the day before I was writing about my friends and trying to add pictures ... all of the sudden I felt terribly ill. I already had a head cold but I got that yucky feeling like I was going to hurl. (sorry if that is TMI!). Anyway, since the photos weren't loading anyway I quickly pressed publish and ran for the bathroom.

I ended up being fine, I think the cold just hit me hard that day and since I'd had nothing to eat and a couple cups of coffee already it just upset my stomach. Anyway, I never got to finish my thankful list! On Thanksgiving day I was so busy with everyone here that I had no time to finish. So on Thanksgiving day I was going to say that I am thankful for my family. Not just my hubby and kids that I've already mentioned - but the extended family. And Thanksgiving day was the perfect day to talk about that because many of them were here!

I also have a confession to make ... I was a terrible photographer this weekend. I took maybe 6 photos the whole time and missed tons of opportunities to take lovely photos to remember this blessed holiday. Honestly sometimes it's just to hard to always be the one to take all the pictures. Instead I was busy preparing and hosting - but even more than that I was busy visiting and talking and catching up with people. I really enjoyed the time spent - even if I do have very little photos to show for it.

So, back to being thankful for family. We are blessed beyond measure that both of our families live fairly close to us. Bob's parents, Robin & Dan, live about 20 minutes from us. We see them every week, sometimes multiple times a week, and they are very involved in our lives.

My Mom, Barb, also lives 20 min from here, in the same town as Robin & Dan. It has been such a blessing to have her living nearby after so many years when my parents lived in FL. My Mom is one of my closest friends and I love being able to call her up or stop by her house anytime. We share books, exchange clothes, trade household items, etc ... It is truly wonderful to have her nearby. All of our parents attend the same church as us. That is another wonderful blessing.

My brother, Matt, and niece Becca live about 2 hours away. Becca is the same age as Jilly so it's always fun when we get the 3 girls together. They come down to visit about once a month or every other month. Every time they do the girls are ecstatic!

Bob's brother Dan, his wife Kristen, and their boys Thomas, Jonathon and Andrew all live about 1 hour and 40 min from here. The boys are similar ages to our girls and just like Becca the girls always love when they come to visit and play.

Bob's youngest brother Aaron and his wife Glenna also live about 2 hours away. It's great when everyone comes to visit - the kids all play together and the adults all enjoy hanging out and catching up.

We also have many extended aunts, uncles and cousins. This year we were able to see several of them that came from New Jersey and New Hampshire. My 89 year old Grandfather also came up which was great.

Since we had such a large number of people between my family and Bob's ... we split up for dinner. My Mom hosted dinner at her home with my side of the family, and I hosted dinner here with Bob's side of the family. We met up together for a fall hike, and then later in the evening everyone came here to my house for dessert (25 people in all!)

Anyway, here are a few photos ...
This is the group that met up for a hike before the big meal - a few people stayed back at the house so not everyone is pictured. From left to right - Bob's brother Dan w/ Andrew on his shoulders, Kristen, Bob, Glenna, Robin, Dan, me in front, my Uncle Bob in back, my Uncle Randy, Matt, my cousin Rick, Rick's girlfriend Ashley. In front are the kids - J, H, Thomas, Jonathon, my cousin Megan, Becca.

A cute shot of the kids all winding down with a movie - Becca, J, H, Megan, Thomas ...

And the two little boys all snuggled up on another chair - Jonathon & Andrew ...

Even the two dogs snuggled up together at the end of the night - Bette (Glenna's dog) and Casey (our dog).

I can't seem to express myself well in words lately (my brain is fried!) but I am truly thankful for all of our family, the local ones and the long distance ones!!

No comments: