Monday, July 21, 2008

When life gives gives you lemons

How do you handle it? Do you make the best of the situation?? ... make some lemonade?? ... pout, be grumpy, complain??

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. In the past couple of months we've been making some home improvements. Things we planned on and had money to pay for. However 3 things have happened that were totally unexpected. Three very large LEMONS.

First, Bob accidentally broke the window in our garage door. Our very old, very much in need of replacing garage door. Something we weren't planning on replacing any time soon, but were sort or forced into doing through circumstances. ($1200)

Second, on my way to work 2 weeks ago my back tire hit some rocks on the side of our road. There is a house that sticks far into the road with a rock wall around it. It's very narrow and you have to go slow through there. I was rushing through and the tire hit. It blew out. Long story short we ended up replacing all 4 tires. We needed new tires, but were not planning on spending that money right now. ($600)

Third, we were finally having our second bathroom put in downstairs (something we planned on) and the guys were doing the work last week. They shut the water off to work on the plumbing and something happened to the water pump that connects to our well. (I don't really understand what all happened so I can't explain it well.) To fix it and get it all done to code we had to hire a guy to come out and fix the whole thing. Something that we needed to do, but didn't plan on doing right now. ($3000)

Three VERY LARGE LEMONS. After all, who has an extra $4800 laying around??

When we were without water for two days I began to have a case of the poor-me attitude. You have no idea how much you rely on running water until you don't have it.

Then later in the week I became aware of the situation with Katie Bloom. (See previous posts if you have no idea what I'm referring to.) It was such a wake up call for me. To see another family go through such a difficult trial and still have the ability to praise God in all circumstances was just what I needed to get me out of my poor-me funk.

I want to share some verses that are posted on Katie's progress blog. They are helping me to remember to pray about everything, to praise God for what He has already done, and to stop focusing on the negative stuff and start focusing on God and on all the wonderful blessings that I already enjoy.

Phil. 4:6-7

"Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and THANK HIM for what He has already done.

If you do this, you will experience God's peace which is far more wonderful than our mind can understand. His peace will guard your heart and mind as you live IN Christ Jesus."

I have so much to be thankful for. I am blessed beyond words. Sometimes I need a little wake up call. A little reminder that I have no reason to complain. So a few unexpected little money issues come up. So what! What good is money if you don't have life, health, family, friends, God?? What is really important?

So we fixed the things that needed fixing. All seems to be back in order for now. Our house is slowly but surely coming along and we've almost completed all of our projects. {I will post pictures soon.}

My heart and my attitude got a little fixing too. And that feels good. I thank You Lord that You're still working on me!

{{PS. I still have much to update, lots of photos to share, etc ... but this week I need to focus on getting stuff ready for VBS which is coming up WAY too soon! So hang in there, I'll post as soon as I can! And keep praying for the Bloom family, here is the new blog address where you can get current updates ... http://katiebloomprogress.blogspot.com/ }}

No comments: