Monday, July 28, 2008

VBS

What is VBS? VBS is Vacation Bible School. It's kind of like summer camp, held at our church. This year our church has chosen two themes for VBS. The children that are entering kindergarten through 3rd grade will be doing a theme called God's Big Backyard. The children that are in 4th-7th grades are doing a theme called Cosmic City.

I am the department head for the beginners. That is grades K and 1. I am so excited about the theme this year. The past few weeks I've spent cutting out clouds, birds, butterflies ... and planning meetings with our team, typing letters to go home with parents, planning music and decorations. It's been so much fun.

I have an amazing team of helpers this year. Several of them are teachers, both in the public school system and also homeschool Moms. I am truly blessed to be working with this amazing group of women!!

Our VBS is run in the evenings. It is from Monday, August 4th-Friday, August 8th from 6pm-8:30pm. The children will have music, do crafts, play outdoor sports and games, hear a Bible lesson, have great snacks, make new friends and just have a blast with lots of other kids.

The theme is all about service. Serving our family, friends, neighbors, community and Jesus. Each night we will focus on one of these areas of service and help kids see that even though they are young, they can still serve others! We will also have a missions project for the week. Our missions project is a local organization that helps the homeless people in our area. They bring food, clothing and friendship to the homeless all year long. The kids who come to VBS will have the chance to bring new socks or money for the homeless. (This is voluntary of course, there is no 'fee' for VBS.) This helps the kids see ways they can help others that are living (and struggling) right here in our area.







Anyway, just wanted to share with you what has been keeping me busy ... I will take lots of pictures next week and I'll be sure to post them!

No comments: