Friday, December 16, 2011

Homemade Gifts ~ Aprons for Kids

Ready for picture overload and another tutorial today? Good! Here we go!

I love to make at least one homemade gift for my girls each year. First, I like to be crafty and creative, plus I like for them to see that all gifts don’t have to be costly {or electronic!} to be enjoyed.

While shopping on Black Friday I found these child sized aprons at AC Moore and knew they would be perfect. My girls LOVE to help with baking and I thought they might like having their own personalized, custom aprons to wear each time we bake. {I also decided to make one for my niece who is the same age as my daughter.}

Here’s what you’ll need:

* Child sized aprons {you could make your own, but these were pretty inexpensive so I figured I’d save myself one step and just buy the ones that were already made}

IMG_2238

* Some fun cooking accessories – I got this bag of wooden spoons for just a buck!

 IMG_2239

* Fun colored sprinkles

IMG_2240

* A cute cookie cutter for each child, I went with butterflies so they could be used year round.

IMG_2241

* A few different spools of coordinating ribbon

IMG_2242

* Felt in some fun colors/patterns {our AC Moore had lots of colors/patterns of these felt squares.}

IMG_2243

OK, let’s get started. First use construction paper and cut out the letters you want to use to monogram. Figure out how large you want the letter to be and what font or whatever. I just kinda winged it and started cutting until I like the shape and size of the letters.

IMG_2245

Flip the letter over and trace onto the BACK side of your felt fabric …

IMG_2246

Then cut the felt letter out and flip back over to the right side.

IMG_2247

Next, for an extra layer of felt {just for fun} pin your felt letter, right side down, onto another piece of felt in a coordinating color.

IMG_2248

Then, using pinking shears, cut around the letter, leaving just a little extra on the edges so you will see BOTH felt colors when you’re done ….

IMG_2249

It should look like this when you’re done …

IMG_2250 IMG_2251

Now you’re going to take your apron and figure out the basic layout of where you want things to be. Lay out your letter and your ribbons and play around with the placement until you have them just where you want them.

IMG_2252

Leave some overlap on the ribbons, you’ll cut off the excess later, but for now just let it hang over the edges.

IMG_2253

Now pin the letter and ribbons to the apron so that when you sew, they won’t shift and will stay just where you want them. After it is sewn on, it will look like the picture on the right …

IMG_2254 IMG_2255

Then sew along the ribbons too. I sewed right through the middle of each ribbon, except for the top one. Since it had words on it and I didn’t want to sew over the words, I carefully sewed a line above AND under the words. If you have really wide ribbon you might want to sew the top and bottom, but otherwise these thin ribbons only need one line of stitches.

IMG_2256

Then flip the apron over and pin down the excess of the ribbons …

IMG_2257

Then you will sew a line right up the edge to keep the end of the ribbons in place.

IMG_2258

At this point you can cut off your excess.

IMG_2259

OK, here’s what we have so far … but I thought I wanted just a little bit more flare soooo …

IMG_2261

I used some of the excess felt, some pinking shears and some cute buttons, and I made these little rosette kinda things to attached to the top corner of the apron. Just cut 3 different fabrics into circles, I totally winged-it here and just started cutting the felt until I liked the way it looked. {have you noticed I do that a lot!?} I sewed the bottom one down to the apron with my machine, then just used a cute button to keep all 3 together.

IMG_2266

And here are the 3 completed aprons!!!

IMG_2262 IMG_2264 IMG_2265  IMG_2267 IMG_2268 IMG_2269 IMG_2271 IMG_2272 IMG_2273 IMG_2274

Now, when you give these as a gift, simply attach the cute cookie cutter, a wooden spoon and a jar of sprinkles. It would also be cute to give with a jar of ‘Cookies in a Jar’ mix!! And don’t forget to give a recipe for Sugar Cookie Cutouts with it too!

Happy Crafting!

4 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

not even kidding, i kinda want one....

lol!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I LOVE these!! Maybe if I had a sewing machine and actually knew how to sew... Or maybe I can con my sister into making some...heehee

Charissa said...

what a great idea! cutest aprons EVER!!!

Stacey Pittsinger said...

Wonderful. They seem simple...no little girls in my life to make one for though.