The first step of course is to have all the proper ingredients on hand. So I pulled out the recipes I knew I'd want to make, made up a big grocery list of items needed, and headed off to Walmart. Yep, I figure it's only once per year that Christmas comes around so I'm gonna go with price over quality. =)
And all of this .... is what we came home with!
Don't these peppermint crunch baking chips look amazing? I can't wait to have them!
Cutout Sugar cookies - already made some for Bible study, but I know we'll make more.
Scotch Shortbread - just made a small batch last night cause I've been craving a little something sweet to have with my tea each evening.
Devil's Food Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint baking chips
Red Velvet Cookies with White Choc chips {never tried before but thought they sounded good!}
And that's it! Yeah, just got the oats and walnuts and such to have on hand just in case I decide to make something that needs them. {Otherwise they make a healthy breakfast too!}
And while I'm here, I might as well share the recipes, right? Cause I know you'll want to know them!
Scotch Shortbread
2 sticks of butter {don't EVEN try to sub something else, only REAL butter will do!}
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups flour
Mix all together, press down into a square 9x9 pan, then either poke some holes in the top or sprinkle with some festive colored sugars. Bake for about 20-30 min in a 300 degree oven. When mostly cooled cut into squares. This is soooo yummy and buttery and rich tasting. I can only eat small squares at a time!
Sugar Cookie Cutouts
Cream with a mixer:
3 eggs
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of sugar
Add:
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Slowly mix in:
3 & 1/2 cups of flour {I may have even added more like 4 cups cause my dough seemed too sticky}
Chill dough in the fridge for an hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Working on a floured surface, roll out your dough to desired thickness {my trick is to keep it fairly thick - you get MUCH nicer cookies!}
Cut with floured cookies cutters {I let the kids do this, they love it!}
Bake for 10-12 min until the dough looks dry but NOT brown. You may need to keep an eye on the first batch to figure out what the best amount of time is. Every oven and pan cook a bit differently.
{My other trick for cookies is using a Baking stone, like the kind from Pampered Chef, you get great cookies every time without burning the bottoms.}
Once they have cooled you can decorate with icing and sprinkles. The girls LOVE that part!
Devil's Food Cookies with Choc. Chips
One box of Devil's food cake mix
Mix with 1/2 cup of oil and
2 eggs.
Add 1 cup of {any kind} choc chips.
Form into balls and bake for 10-11 min at 350 degrees.
This can be edited with any kind of choc chips - I am going to use the peppermint chips with this cake mix.
I am also going to try using the Red Velvet cake mix with White Choc chips by using the same recipe but just changing the flavors - we'll see how they turn out!
And that's all, very simple but delicious recipes.
1 comment:
Oh, how fun! I've made a list, too! I may add your short bread to my list...looks so simple and sounds so yummy!
Post a Comment