WOW, what a busy month we’ve had so far! Please excuse my long absence from blogging … it’s honestly so hard just to keep up with the day to day stuff let alone try to work blogging in too!
I thought I’d give a quick glimpse at what we’ve been up to over the past month. I can hardly believe that October is only a couple days away!
Most days are filled with school work during the day and some type of activity in the evening. The girls LOVE doing their spelling lists on the white board.
I got my hair chopped off! I am loving my shorter style!
In History this year we’re studying the Early Explorers … the girls made timelines for all the Explorers we’re studying.
We often do snack and reading time together. We’re reading about all kinds of influential people this year like Jackie Robinson. We discovered these Nutella to go and all LOVED having it for a snack one day. Beside that is my Sugar-free Raspberry Iced Green Tea which I drink gallons of while we do school work! It’s so yummy but also good for you.
Soccer season is here again! We have practices 2 evenings a week plus a game on Saturday – I’m glad she loves it so much cause it’s a big time commitment! She has already scored a goal in each of her first two games – woohoo! Our younger daughter is doing swimming lessons this year – so far she’s doing great too {no pics yet, I’ll try to take some soon.}
Our oldest daughter turned TEN! Whoa, where did the time go?? She chose 3 close friends to come sleep over and they made lava lamps, ice cream, pizzas and watched a couple movies, it was a FUN night!
Turning 10 is kind of a big deal to me so we took her to get her hair cut, then to a local shopping village to take a bunch of fun pictures of her … she really enjoyed her personal photo shoot and was a great subject!
We went to the HUGE New England fair last week – it’s enormous and it represents all of New England. You can find the CRAZIEST foods there!
I LOVE walking through the state buildings where they represent things that are unique to each of the New England states … this was the display outside the NH building and it was gorgeous … it really got me in the mood for FALL!
Here are the girls and I … even though I live in {and LOVE} New England now … I’m still a Canadian girl at heart!
We are LOVING Total Language Plus and Teaching Textbooks – I am SO, super happy that we made the choice to switch our curriculum this year! The girls are doing so well with both Language Arts and Math and school is just so much more enjoyable this year!
Just a typical day … getting stuff ready for snack time – cucumbers and applesauce!
One morning for our snack we made Hardtack – which is the kind of thing the sailors on Columbus’ ship would have eaten … it was pretty bland and tasteless, so we jazzed it up a little with butter and jam. I LOVE living history lessons!
A typical day with the girls working on their Geography.
This past weekend I had the extreme pleasure of getting away for the Women’s retreat at a Christian camp in NH. I went with 5 other wonderful ladies and we had SO.MUCH.FUN! Right outside the cabin/unit we stayed in was this GORGEOUS view of the lake!
A couple of my fun, silly girlfriends! {Bethany & Joann}
{Heather and myself – no, we didn’t plan our outfits to match!}
We have also still been enjoying the beach from time to time. The weather has still been quite warm here. We DID close our pool though, the water just got too cold and it was pretty green after the hurricane and just never really got clear again so the girls weren’t using it anymore so we closed it. The other day as we sat on the beach {which was mostly empty now that everyone else is back in school} I just drank in the warmth and the feeling of sand between my toes … knowing full well that in January I will be LONGING for beach days again!
We are FINALLY almost done with our science books from last year. We are on the final chapter in our Astronomy studies, then next month we will begin a whole new study.
Sorry these pics are in kinda random order – with our new Language Arts program the girls are supposed to write their spelling words on flash cards every week … I wondered what I would do with all those flashcards or how I’d keep them in order, until I came up with THIS!
I hole punch them and put them all on a big ring – and I add a tag that says what week it is. That way if we need to reference any words we can easily flip back to them.
I’ve been trying to make some of my own salad dressings lately … this one I tried the other day was definitely a winner – it’s a poppy seed dressing and tasted great on my salad! Also pictured is the 12 grain bread that we have all been loving lately … but I’d love to make my own so if anyone has a great recipe please share!
And I’ll leave you with one final photo … I’m proud of this little pup … about a month ago we had to give her crate away {long story} so we decided that maybe she was old enough to go without one. So for the past month whenever we go somewhere and leave her home, or at night when we’re sleeping – we put her in the kitchen with her doggy bed and a baby gate closes the kitchen off from the rest of the house. And she’s been doing SO well! She’s only peed in the kitchen TWICE in that whole time and she does so well at night. She sleeps on her bed and doesn’t whine and even stays on her bed until I get up in the morning. She’s still a feisty, crazy puppy at times … but I’m so happy to see that she’s doing well even without her crate.
If you’re still reading at this point all I can say is thank you! I know this was very long winded and I hope that my updates will be more frequent now. I’ve decided to give up facebook for a few days and it’s amazing how much more I’m accomplishing around here! I don’t know how long I’ll give it up for … or what rules I’ll set in place when I’m done fasting from it … but I know that it feels so good to finally be gaining control over this addiction. I honestly don’t even like all the new changes they’ve made on there, so giving it up was easier than I thought. I just don’t want to get rid of it for good because it’s the only way I stay in touch with a lot of people that live far away from me. Anyway, I really should wrap this up … bye for now!
4 comments:
It was great hearing all about your month! It sounds great! I love your idea of putting the TLP spelling/vocab words on a ring. I've just been putting all of Emma's things that she's done so far in a folder together, but that would be a great way to review those words. We have just this week also finished up our astronomy study (although I shamefully admit that we didn't do the notebooking journal for the last 2 chapters). I think we were ready to wrap it up. Botany is up next! What are you doing next?
Ha! You can tell it's late and I'm getting tired. I obviously couldn't think of more adjectives that *great*:)
hey Lora! We're planning to move on to Considering God's Creation a book I already had. The first thing we're going to study is rocks and minerals ... should be interesting as I truly know nothing about this topic! haha =)
Wonderful to hear about what you've been up to, Kathy! Love the look at your month.
Post a Comment