Wednesday, December 22, 2010

This Christmas

Hmmm, I can't figure out how to start this and can't even really put my thoughts together in a way that will make sense. So I apologize in advance for the bumbling, rambling way this may come across.

I feel sort of overcome with a heavy feeling of sadness this Christmas. It seems like SO many people are going through very tough things and I guess it's never a 'good' time but at Christmas it just seems sort of unfair. I mean, don't we all desire for Christmastime to be fun and wonderful and filled with great memories with our families? But when death or tragedies occur, people don't just have to deal with the grief for that year - but for every Christmas after that as well.

I'll be honest, there are days I don't appreciate my husband, or days I get angry and frustrated with my kids. Heck, many days I just don't feel very thankful at all and take everything in my life for granted. But then I stop and think about what some other families are going through.

A family at our church, that I have mentioned here before, is going to lose their husband/Dad to cancer any day now. Last week they were told he might not make it until Christmas day. His lovely bride is not even 40 yet and she will become a widow. His 2 young boys are only 6 and 3 years old. Little boys NEED a Daddy. Jen NEEDS her husband.

I can't stop thinking of them and my heart breaks a little more each time they come to mind. Sean was only diagnosed in September. It's a lot like what happened with my Dad. So fast, no time to react or get used to the idea of cancer. Just BAM, it's there and it's bad and it doesn't leave you with much time left with your loved one.

I love to read Kelly's Korner. It's a cute blog and if you don't already read it you should check it out. Some days she shares prayer requests and on her post today she shared a few. Very sad, very difficult situations. People who have LOST loved ones, people who are dying of cancer, people who are suffering from the results of a car accident. SO MANY HURTING, SUFFERING PEOPLE.

Like I said above ... it just doesn't seem fair, not at this time of year, not ever really. But still we know that pain and loss are inevitable. Death happens, accidents happen. Last week I read of a little boy who was in a tragic accident in his own home. A large, heavy dresser fell on him and he died. Those parents are burying their baby this Christmas.

Forgive me if this is all coming across as terribly depressing and morbid. That's not my intent at all. Rather I feel that this Christmas these sad situations have made me even more grateful for my life, my kids, my family and all the many blessings in my life. And they've also helped me see that you just can't take one single day for granted. You or I could receive devastating news tomorrow. I pray that we do not. But it could happen. We simply cannot know what tomorrow may hold.

Beyond being thankful this Christmas, I feel that I can't ignore the fact that it's imperative that each and every one of us know where we would spend eternity if anything ever did happen to us. If any of you do not know Jesus as your personal Savior and have questions about it please comment and let me know and I will get in contact with you.

It's crucial, in these crazy times, when so much of our world is in turmoil, that we KNOW for sure that we will go to heaven when we die.

It's been such a different December around here. Sort of hard to put into words as to why. But one thing that has been a huge blessing to my heart has been my girls. They have shown the depths of Christ's love many times over this December. They have prayed sincere prayers for people who are hurting, they have made card after card after card to cheer those who are suffering, they have made and delivered homemade gifts to others because they want to, not because they have to. I could go on, but I think you get the point. So although this year has been kinda funky and different and yes even sad - I'm sorta glad for it all because it's really changed our hearts in a good way. Instead of focusing on ourselves we've been given the blessing of reaching out to others and seeing beyond ourselves and our happy little Christmas.

A couple things ...
**would you continue to pray with us for the Coffey family? I know they would really appreciate your prayers on their behalf.
**would you hug your kids, spend time WITH them instead of worrying about cleaning, cooking, etc ... this Christmas. Make memories, read stories, snuggle up for movies, play with those new toys you got them, go out in the snow with them ...
**would you kiss your spouse and love on them and appreciate them no matter what this Christmas? Even if they give you the worst gift ever, or no gift at all, or make you mad? Just love them and appreciate them and the fact that they are there with you, healthy and whole and just THERE.
**would you accept Christ's free gift of salvation if you haven't already? There's no better time than today.

2 comments: