Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fruitcake

Let's have a poll ... how many of you LIKE fruitcake, how many of you can't stand it and how many of you have never even tried it?

"The worst gift is a fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other." ~Johnny Carson

***I actually happen to be one of the only people in the world who actually LOVES fruitcake! Got a fruitcake you don't want? Send it to ME! LOL***

I grew up eating fruitcake at Christmas time because my Grandma and my Dad loved it. But you HAVE got to buy the right kind ... I have never found another fruitcake that tasted as good as Claxton's.


It's sweet and nutty and rich. You only need a small slice of it at a time. I prefer to eat mine frozen just like my Daddy used to do. You just keep it in the freezer and when you feel like having some you slice off about a half inch and eat right away. It's soooooo yummy!

Just for fun ... I challenge any of you who have never tried it to try it this Christmas season. I have seen the Claxton's kind at Walmart so you could easily pick one up and give it a try. I bet you'll find that it's actually pretty good!

3 comments:

Mary said...

It just looks so incredibly UNappetizing! I know I've seen them in person and passed them over. I think I had a bite once... just not something I want to remember! hahaha!
But bring on the cookies!
(But I think it's great you have such a great memory attached to it!)

Anonymous said...

NO fruitcake for me! Honestly though, I've never tried it in my adult life so maybe I could change my mind but I just don't dare to. I'm not big on maraschino cherries so that itself makes it very unappetizing! Interesting....eating it frozen.

Janelle said...

I saw your comment on fb earlier and had to laugh...Ryan is the only other person I know that likes fruit cake. I thought maybe it was a Canadian thing...I guess Mary's answer clears that up for me. =0)

My experience is much like Mary's...I don't think I have ever tried it. It just does not look appetizing. If I see it at Wal-Mart, I will pick one up. If nothing else, Ryan will be happy! I will let you know what I think.