
So, I did it. I finally read Twilight. I never thought I would and that it would never interest me ... but I must admit I was definitely curious about what all the hype was about. Plus, I figured in a few years I'll have tween daughters and if they should happen to say they want to read it I'd like to have a preview of what's in store first.
Before I go any further I will warn you that I am going to mention some details about the book - so if you think you might read it in the future this is your spoiler alert. I won't go into all the details of the plot and everything, but still, don't say I didn't warn you in advance!!
--
-
-
-
still reading? ok, here we go ...
Here are my observations:
First I really DID like the book. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It is a VERY suspenseful book that had me where I really couldn't put it down - especially the second half. I read the whole thing in just a few shorts nights and stayed up so late each night because I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next.
So the book is about Vampires. If you know nothing of this book than you may be surprised. Yes, it's about vampires - and yes, that's why I'm totally surprised that I read it. I actually worried at first that I was inviting bad thoughts {the devil} into my heart and my home by reading this book - but now that I'm done with it I don't feel that way anymore. I avoid horror movies and anything creepy at all costs. I read almost only Christian fiction. I read the stories that have happy endings - it's how I manage to sleep at night. I watched horror movies in my younger years and soon decided it wasn't worth it because I really am a person who loves to sleep peacefully at night. No nightmares for me, thank you very much! But I will say, that even though there were some scenes in the second half of the book that do get a little frightening - I never had trouble sleeping and never had any dreams about this book or the characters. I think I was very easily able to distinguish in my mind that it was fiction. I think that is a very important detail to remember - it's a really good fiction book - keep that in mind and you will not struggle with this book.
Anyway, moving on. Twilight is a love story more than anything else. It's about a teen girl who falls in love with a 'teen' guy who just happens to be a vampire. Much of the book is simply Bella and Edward talking and learning about each other and what makes them both so different from each other. And much of it is them falling in love with each other.
That being said - I must say, there is A LOT of sensual desire going on. I would almost say 'sexual tension' between Edward and Bella. No, there are no 'sex' scenes in the book - but so much of their time together is about their strong desires for one another and does talk a lot about them touching, caressing, kissing, etc ... In a weird way, it's presented very innocently - mostly because Edward being a vampire has to be careful not to get too carried away with Bella so as not to ignite his vampire desires {for blood}. HOWEVER, there is a time where Edward stays with Bella all night, in her room and I would NOT suggest this book for any teen or tween girl. WAY too much sensual stuff going on!!! I do not think our tween or teen girls need to have any more ideas of romanticism, love and sensuality planted in their innocent minds. We need to protect their innocence as much as we can!
As a married, Christian woman who is secure in my beliefs I did not feel that this book caused me any sort of stumbling block. But for a vulnerable, young, insecure teen girl?? Could quite possibly happen! A girl who isn't totally secure in her beliefs about God, the devil and other 'creatures' ... could definitely cause you to think that yeah, maybe these vampires could really be out there living among us. Myself - not a doubt in my mind. But I wouldn't want my daughters to have those kinds of doubts or fears until they were grown women who were very secure in their beliefs. And honestly I'd rather they not read about such sensual desires until they are happily married women who can act upon their desires WITH their husbands. Why stir up feelings of sensuality in someone who is young and should not be acting upon those feelings/desires??
So that is my two cents on the book ... for whatever it's worth. Like I said, I did like it - just think there needs to be some caution used in who reads it. It definitely seems to be marketed to the teen crowd and I know for sure that I do not agree with that.
The book ends on a cliffhanger ... so now I have to decide - will I read the next one or not? ;)
2 comments:
I never would have guessed that one!
Thanks. I did wonder what all the hype was about. I totally get what you mean about sensual tension. I remember being a young girl and romance novels was what I loved but it did put ideas in my head that I just wasn't ready to deal with.
As far as stumbling blocks...do you remember "Charmed" It was my all time favorite show then I became a Christian. I struggled quite a bit but after a while it became distasteful to me and I no longer craved it. Great review!
Post a Comment