Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Today I slept in. We went to a very fun Christmas party last night with some friends in which we didn't even get home till about 12:30 - add that to the couple of fun drinks I had at the party and I was definitely glad to sleep in today!

So I woke up this morning and found out that snow is on it's way - lots of it! But being the crazy person that I am - I needed to go to walmart and the grocery store first! Yeah, I know, I'm totally insane - the last Saturday before Christmas, two kids in tow, right before a major snowstorm - not a good combo! The roads were packed, the parking lots were packed, the stores were packed, the lines were packed - craziness at every turn!!

I bought the girls a donut at the DD in the walmart and we were off and running to get everything we needed. I stupidly forgot to get myself anything to eat though. By the time we finished in 3 stores and got home it was noon. Noon - with no food in my belly and cranky from battling the crowds and wrangling two kids through stores with their 'oh Mom, can I get this?' every 5 seconds!! Don't they get it that it's almost CHRISTMAS??!! Of course I'm not buying the junk in the stores NOW - I've already spent too much on all their Christmas stuff!!

But now ... all is well. Everything is bought. We have food and goodies for the few days. We have Christmas movies to watch, gifts to wrap and snow on it's way. We get to kick back and really enjoy these wonderful last days before Christmas! Church will likely be cancelled tomorrow. We will be housebound. But it's the most wonderful time of the year and I am so thrilled to have this time with my family. Sometimes I think God throws us a big ol snowstorm just to make us slow down and e n j o y - with no distractions and no where to go - we simply share time and make memories together.

So here's hoping you and yours are enjoying every moment - whether you have snow to slow you down or not - relish these days. Remember the moments. Christmas comes but once a year!

1 comment:

Stacey Pittsinger said...

As the snow fell I was on my way to the mall so Malachai could finish up his shopping. When we left the mall....the snow was coming down hard and blowing directly at the car so it was slow going to get back home. I wish I'd gone out early like you did.