Monday, November 23, 2009

A Thanksgiving 'Plan'

A friend from church posted her plan for Thanksgiving the other day on Facebook. Basically she shared her notebook full of menus, plans and a schedule for the big day. Being a list maker myself I loved her idea. It's neat to see what other people do or eat on a major holiday.



So here is my Thanksgiving 'plan' ...
Guests ~ 10 adults + 5 kids = 15 total
A schedule for the day {which may change or be adapted at ANY time!}

Morning
~ breakfast for any that are here already
~ Some of the guys are going to watch a local high school football game
~ I plan to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade while I start prepping the turkey & side dishes and getting the table set. The kids will prob run around, play with toys, and hopefully spend some time outside if it's a nice day.

Midday
~ serve appetizers when the men get back from the football game
~ go for a walk in the woods at a local park ~ nice to get out of the kitchen and get some fresh air!
~ come home and continue food prep / and I'm sure we'll all have coffee

Around 3pm
~ serve the main meal
~ we like to go around the table and have each person say something they are thankful for. last year we did a fun twist and you had to go by the letters of the alphabet - so the first person had to say something they were thankful for that started with 'a', the next person 'b' and so on. it was really fun! I'm trying to think of a new twist for this year but so far have not come up with anything unique - ideas are welcome!

Late afternoon
~ watch football
~ talk / visit
~ play games

Around 5 or 6pm
~ serve dessert

Evening
~ anything goes! eat leftovers, relax, hang out, whatever. some people will be going home and for those that spend the night here we will probably all be tired and will just relax.



On the MENU
Appetizers:
~ Shrimp with spicy cocktail sauce
~ Keilbasa cooked with pineapples
~ Cheese, crackers and pepperoni
~ Raw veggies and hummus

Main meal:
~Turkey
~Gravy
~Stuffing
~Green Bean casserole
~Mashed potatoes
~Rolls and butter
~Cranberry sauce
~Cooked carrots
~Homemade applesauce
~Pickles

Dessert:
~Various pies {I don't even know what kind yet b/c I asked some of my family members to bring dessert - so we will see what delicious creations they bring!}

Breakfast on Friday:
~Egg and sausage casserole
~Pumpkin bread

Lunch on Friday:
~Leftovers or fend for yourself!

As far as the plan for the rest of the weekend ~
~I want to get my Christmas cards completed so they can be mailed the first week of December. ~We will also bring out all the Christmas decor and the tree and spend the weekend decorating the house.
~We plan to visit some friends on Sunday.
~And otherwise just relax and enjoy a quiet weekend at home.

4 comments:

Alicia K said...

Love your Thanksgiving Plan!! I was an event planner, prior to having kids, and I can appreciate someone who is a planner like me. :) I am sitting down this morning to go through my menu and begin a plan for cooking.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Sounds great! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a full day! A walk through the woods and then coffee...perfect! Enjoy!

Amy H said...

Kathy, I don't know if this is a twist, but an older lady at our Bible study this week said that when her kids were growing up, she would put 3 kernels of corn on everyone's plate and they would go around the table before eating, and each person would say something they were thankful for, then take the kernel off their plate. When everyone's plates were empty, they would pray and eat.