Why are the holidays so stressful {especially for Moms} :
*first of all, we have 2 major holidays within about 4 weeks of each other - that alone can be stressful!
*we put a lot of pressure on ourselves - feeling like we have to hand make 100+ Christmas cards, bake dozens and dozens of gourmet cookies, attend every party, choose the most perfect gifts for multiple family members and friends, ingrain in our kids what it's really all about, fight through the nasty Christmas crowds, etc, etc, etc ... I know you're thinking of more ways in your head right now!
*we think our kids need the perfect holiday. we think they have to get that perfect gift, the one they've been talking about all year. we think they need happy, wonderful holiday memories and that it's our complete responsibility to provide that.
*we think that people want to open their gifts and have one of those gushing hallmark moments where their eyes tear up and they exclaim that it's just what they always wanted. so we spend hours and hours and way too much money trying to get that perfect thing.
*we don't anticipate stuff like sickness so when it happens it can shatter our plans and cause us stress.
*we don't take care of ourselves - we run ourselves ragged from morning to night - baking, shopping, cooking, packing, etc ...
*we read too many magazines and blogs that make us feel like our Christmas decor must look like something from a magazine and when it's not we hustle about trying to create those lovely visions we've seen.
*we wait till the last minute on too many items and end up worn out from trying to do it all at midnight the night before the event/party/holiday, etc.
*WE PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON OURSELVES - YES, I'm saying it again because it bears repeating!
So what are some really simple and practical things we can do NOW, yes now, I do realize it's the FIRST week in November - but there are things you can do now that will help make your holiday less stressful and more magical than ever. After all, don't we tell our kids time and again how the most important thing about Christmas IS NOT the gifts they get - but remembering to celebrate our Savior and His birth? And for me, the second most important thing is creating traditions and memories. This is one of my favorite times of the whole year and I want to savor it and enjoy it WITH my family - not be stressed out and wishing it would all end soon.
Things you can do NOW in November, even before Thanksgiving ...
Forget the idea that you HAVE to handmake your Christmas cards ... if you want to and you have the time, by all means do it and enjoy it. But if you don't have the time or won't enjoy the process than stop beating yourself up about it and just order some online. There are some beautiful and inexpensive sites to get cards from. I like Winkflash or Walmart because they are pretty cheap. So find a favorite photo of your family or your kids and upload it to one of the online sites - some can be delivered right to your home so you won't even have to go pick them up. You could also type a family letter on your computer - a friend of mine does this and adds photos between the typing. It comes out beautiful and I love seeing what her family has been doing all year through the photos. If you don't send out cards at all - don't stress! It's not for everyone and that is fine!
You can also be working on addresses even before the cards arrive in the mail. Type them into a Word label document and print them out - then save the document so you will have them all ready for next year. If anyone you know has moved in the last year, contact them ASAP for their new address. You can also print out your own family label too. So when your cards are ready addressing will be as simple as sticking the labels on them - your kids could even help with this! At this rate you'll have them completely ready to mail by the first of December! Yay, one major task has been checked off your list!
Oh yeah, LISTS! Lists can be yor best friend at this time of year. Even if list making is not typically your personality it can be very helpful for this season. You can keep a small journal with lists for:
*Christmas cards
*Gifts that you want to buy
*People you need to buy for
*Gifts that are already bought
*Small items you've picked up like stocking stuffers
*Guests that will be spending the holidays with you
*Menu plans for the big event, for parties you're invited to and even for the day to day
*To do list - feels great to check things off as you go ...
What else can you do NOW?
Bake. Why wait till December?? If you know you're going to do a cookie swap, or need a lot of baking; why not take a Saturday in November to bake with your kids? Put on some Christmas music to get you in the mood and have some fun. Most cookies, candies and treats will freeze well and then you can just take 'em out when needed in December. Or do a little at a time, spread it out over a couple weekends instead of all at once.
Shop. Most of the 'sales' are really not worthy of waiting for - after all you have to brave the crowds full of angry people and many times the item might get sold out quickly. So shop a little now. Pick up things here and there and spread it out. This will also be helpful on your budget - after all, who doesn't get stressed about money this time of year?
Also realize that less is more. No really, it is. I'm sure your friends would rather have a fun Christmas party together much more than feeling the stress of purchasing gifts for each other. My friends and I have a family Christmas party - we have lots of food and fellowship and instead of everyone buying gifts for everyone else we do one of those fun yankee swap games. So you buy a couple small items that are less than $5 and every goes home with something. Cheaper, less stressful, trust me! And honestly, it's the time we have together that I look forward to the most.
Make something special. You would be surprised how wonderful it makes people feel to recieve a gift that was made for them from someone's heart. The ideas are endless! My girls were thrilled one year to get doll clothes that their Grandma had sewed. But don't worry if you can't sew - make a beaded bracelet for a friend, stamp a special bookmark, make some jars of easy freezer jam and decorate the jar all pretty ... look through your local craft store - there are all kinds of kits to help you make things even if you've never tried before. Can't make anything, don't have the time or the creative effort? Pick up a small votive candle and give it with a special card letting someone know how much you appreciate them. Don't think that a 'gift' has to be something expensive in order to be given in love.
Take a moment to evaluate what you are going to get for your kids. Look around their rooms, their toy rooms, the garage, etc ... first, take note of HOW MUCH STUFF our kids are blessed to have. Then think about items they got last Christmas - do they still play with those things? What do they REALLY play with most? What are their current interests? Don't just buy to buy. Like I said, our kids {living in America in general} are beyond blessed with TOO MUCH STUFF! So before you head out to the store think hard about what you really think they will use and what will really last. And don't overdo it! I'm so guilty of this ... the closer Christmas gets the more little things I see here and there that I pick up for the girls. But it's all too much! They don't need so much stuff, none of us do! Keep it simple and special.
OK this is becoming really long winded so stay tuned for part two of 'The Holidays' ... and go get started on some items now!
3 comments:
GReat! Great! Great!
Thanks for all the wonderful reminders and tips, Kathy!
One idea on the Christmas cards that I thought I'd pass on... Vistaprint.com has a deal on postcards that I've used for a couple Christmases now. If you get on their email list, they will send you a specials email each week. Usually, it includes a deal for 100 free standard postcards. You can create your own picture for the front or use one of their templates. If you upload your own, you may or may not need to pay a $2.50 fee (I haven't figured out why sometimes I haven't needed to pay the fee, but it's minimal anyway). I go ahead and do a black-and-white backside (free) that is our Christmas "letter," and pay the $5 for white envelopes, which I can dress up with stickers, etc. The shipping is generally very reasonable and service is fast. So, I get 100 very personalized Christmas cards for around $15. I set mine up so there's no need to sign them, just put on address labels. So easy!
Sorry so long, but I couldn't resist throwing it out there in hopes it reduces stress for someone else!
You're right about the pressure - I feel that right now with Luke's first holidays coming up, and he's not even old enough to know what a holiday is! I hate that. I keep telling myself to not stress out about it, but I'm not very convincing. :)
About your comment on my blog about being friends if we lived closer, I have thought that before, too! I keep thinking how much I would like to visit you on one of my trips home! (Not gonna lie, I also really want to see your kitchen in real life! lol) Do you think maybe sometime that could happen? And you are NOT old so stop it! lol
Love all the great ideas! You've inspired me to get some cookie dough made ahead. I'm not baking them yet because I LOVE that part of Christmas, but I am making the dough and freezing it. Then I can cook them nearer to Christmas without the mess and the dishes! I'm also going to make up some caramel popcorn and freeze it. Hope I can stay out of eating it though!
Post a Comment