Monday, August 24, 2009

When was the last time you acted like a kid?

Have you ever noticed that kids are totally uninhibited? They don't care what people think, they just want to have fun, fun, fun all the time. They will do the silliest things, as long as they're having fun.

It all starts from babyhood ... have you ever seen a little baby start bouncing and grooving the moment some fun music comes on? It's natural! Babies don't look around to make sure no one is watching, they simply enjoy the beat of the music and can't help but 'dance' along.

Kids are the same way ... the dance, sing, laugh, play ... all without worry or fear of what people will think of them.

So let me ask you this ...
When was the last time you acted like a kid? Just totally let go of any inhibitions and enjoyed yourself! Let your hair down and let the fun happen?

Myself? Well I will admit that I can be one of those people who tends to take life too seriously at times. I also take myself too seriously from time to time. I confess that I have stayed out of the pool way too often because I 'just fixed my hair' and don't want to get it wet, or I'm worried that the other adults will think I don't look good in a swimsuit, or whatever - yeah, I've definitely come up with some super lame excuses before. Stupid things that kept me from totally giving in and having a fabulous time.

But the other sad truth is that my silly excuses prevented me from having some really great experiences with my kids. Do you have any idea how excited they get when Mommy decides to go in the pool with them?

So without even planning it {which is rare for me as I typically plan every part of my life!} I ended up having a totally amazing summer by simply letting go of my serious side and letting myself 'act like a kid' again. After all, why let the kids have all the fun?

It was incredibly freeing to be able to stop worrying about fixing my hair and makeup and just throw a hat on and go enjoy life. As a person who is almost always worrying about my hair, this was a very big step for me but I can say wholeheartedly that it was totally worth every moment!!

I chose some pictures to show you some of my fun summer adventures - even this is a big step for me. Typically I would only post photos of myself that were flattering, or made me look good. But this summer I learned that I have to stop worrying about how I look and start worrying about who I am on the inside - and who I want to be for my kids. I want to be a fun Mom who isn't afraid to mess up my hair or look silly ... I want to create moments that will last forever.


On Memorial Day weekend the girls challenged my to jump in the pool - and even though the water was still FREEZING ... I did it! They were so excited!

In Bermuda we swam and swam and swam together ... yeah the salt water burned my eyes a little and left my hair feeling sticky, but who cares?
I even snorkeled with them ... we had some amazing adventures looking for tropical fish ...
At our 4th of July celebration I did the 'Skip It' as my talent for our talent show ...woohoo!
At the beach I stopped watching the girls catch a wave and decided to go catch some for myself!
At the lake I took the plunge and jumped off the floating dock ... what an amazing feeling!
Also at the lake I tried something new - a huge 3 seater tube - I laughed and screamed in delight until I had almost lost my voice!
I waterskiied for the first time in 9 years - wow, I totally forgot how much fun it is!
I swam. In our pool. With the girls. A lot.

We played Marco Polo, floated in tubes, had swimming races, did handstands and somersaults under water, etc ... it was so much fun!
When we stayed at a hotel in Canada I went down the waterslides with the girls and my cousins - I think I was the only adult on the slides - but who cares, it was fun!
This weekend I sat in the sand with Joy and let the waves wash over us time and time again - are you cringing while you think about how much sand must have built up in my swimsuit? Yeah, there was A LOT ... but it's sand for goodness sake - it comes out! We had a BLAST playing in the waves together and it was worth cleaning sand out of my suit for the next 8 hours!

What am I forgetting? Oh! Jumping rope, doing the hokey pokey and the chicken dance at our fun family fourth, riding on the girls' power wheels 4-wheeler, and blowing huge bubbles with Bubbalicious Bubble Gum. {Hope wanted to learn how to blow bubbles so we got some bubblegum and have had fun teaching her - I forgot how much fun it is to blow huge bubblegum bubbles!}

It's been an unforgettable summer ... I have truly enjoyed my two sweet girls more than ever before ... my hope and my prayer is that I will continue to 'be fun' and let loose even as we head back in to the season of school and routines.

How about you? Let me ask you again ... when was the last time you acted like a kid? What are you waiting for? If you wait too long your kids will be teens and will think you so 'un-cool' - so there's no time like the present to have fun and be a kid right along with them!

7 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

This is seriously great, Kathy - I, too, have been guilty of caring too much about my stupid hair to enjoy fun things at times! Thanks for posting this! I think your girls are very lucky. :)

Becky McCoy said...

Great post - love the waterslide pictures! I think you meant to use the word "uninhabited" in the first sentence...feel free to not publish this comment :)

Kathy said...

you're right Becky! thanks for pointing that out, I changed it! =)

Laurel said...

Kathy, what an encouraging and challenging post! I really think you should consider refining it and submitting it to a magazine. A message we all need to hear, for sure!

Mary said...

LOL! I love this post. It's true... people take life way to seriously. Just look at adults faces in cars, in stores and everywhere. We need more smiles and more fun! Life is too short to go thru it on the sidelines! Play on!

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

You are the most fun mom I know! Seriously!

Stacey Pittsinger said...

Looks like you really enjoyed yourself. Good for you. You're my inspiration!