I love to read. Love, love, love it. I love books. I have SO many books. The only hindrances to my reading time are 1.time and 2.energy to keep my eyelids open. Maybe you can relate? ;)
Anyhow, just thought it would be fun to share a little about books I’ve read this year, new authors I’ve come to love, and books I have on my ‘to read’ list.
Books I’ve Read this year {since Jan.} :
FICTION
1. Beverly Lewis – The Thorn
2. Wanda Brunstetter – A Merry Heart
3. Wanda Brunstetter – Looking for a Miracle
4. Wanda Brunstetter – Plain & Fancy
5. Andy Andrews – The Heart Mender
6. Andy Andrews – The Traveler’s Gift
7. Beverly Lewis – The Judgment
8. Jodi Picoult – The Plain Truth
9. Nicholas Sparks – The Last Song
NON-FICTION
1. Katrina Kennison – The Gift of an Ordinary Day
2. Francis Chan - Crazy Love
3. Patsy Clairmont – Kaleidoscope
I know it doesn’t seem like that many books coming from someone who LOVES to read – but honestly most nights I’m so tired as I go to bed that I may only get through a page or two before falling asleep!
Ongoing books I’m still reading:
James Dobson – Bringing Up Girls
Sarah Young – Jesus Calling {devo}
Andy Andrews – The Noticer
Kelly Minter – The Fitting Room
A couple authors have been new to me this year and I’m thoroughly impressed with them all. Andy Andrews was a speaker at the Women of Faith conference I attended back in the fall. So while I was there I picked up one of his books and my Mom picked up a couple too. He’s a FANTASTIC writer. It’s so hard for me to explain but he takes real events and creates a fiction story around them. And now that I’m on my 3rd book of his I’m seeing a great pattern where his books ALWAYS point you towards being a better person and maintaining a proper perspective of life. One thing I don’t really like about his writings is that even though he’s a wonderful Christian and speaker, his books say little to nothing about Christ. Just feel like he could use his gift as a platform to reach other for Christ and he doesn’t. Don’t get me wrong, his books are very encouraging and uplifting. Just not really ‘Christian’.
Another new to me author this year is Wanda Brunstetter. I’ve been enjoying Amish Christian fiction for years now from author Beverly Lewis, but decided to give Wanda a try and have been very happy with her books. They are very similar to Beverly Lewis and so far I’ve liked everything I’ve read.
And lastly I read my first Jodi Picoult book this year and it was great! Since I mostly read Christian fiction it caught me a little off guard when she used some language that I don’t prefer, but overall the story was great and the ending totally surprised me.
So what’s next?
Well for my quiet time I will continue with my Jesus Calling devotional and The Fitting Room. When I’m done with that, I have preordered Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman from Chatting at the Sky. I’m VERY excited to read this! I also ordered a book called Playful Learning that I hope will give me some fresh new ideas into bringing fun into our homeschool days. And for my fun reads, I’m sure I will keep picking out more and more Christian fiction from the library. Those are my very favorite thing to read each night before I go to bed. =)
Sooooo, what have you been reading lately? Anything newsworthy that I should check out? I’ve heard ‘The Help’ is fantastic and want to check it out when I get a chance.
5 comments:
We did Forgotten God by Francis Chan in small group last fall and I highly recommend that one. I have a lot of respect for that man. We're doing Radical now by David Platt and I'm not as big of a fan of his writing style, but I do like the way he is making all of us think.
I just picked up Black Heels to Tractor Wheels at the library so I'm excited to read that! And I'd like to read The Help as well. :)
I loved Last Song. Then I watched the movie. It was okay, but the book was so much better. I didn't expect to like it so much (I didn't love The Notebook...gasp!)
I will have to check some of these titles out. Thanks for sharing!
Kathy I just posted on facebook last night for some suggestions on a book to read.....what a list. The Gift of an Ordinary Day caught my eye. Thanks!
Kathy, I have been totally inspired reading "1000 Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. It's really changing my perspective on so many things. How do you like "The Fitting Room"? My sister gave it to me but I haven't read it yet. For some new fiction you might try "Heroes of Quantico" by Irene Hannon. very good, clean but well written mystery/suspense. I've loved them for a fun read. Sure wish we could have coffee in person to talk about our favorite books. I love a fellow book lover! :)
Jen Dreier
Kathy...on your suggestion I breezed through the Yada Yada Prayer group series then the House of Hope series by Neta Jackson. I also got swept up in the Hunger Games Trilogy too. The best inspirational book I read this year has got to be - Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I'd love to read Crazy Love by Francis Chan and I'm also reading The Greatest Words Ever Spoken by Steven K Scott. Let me just say. I absolutely love my Kindle. With this gadget I can take tons of book with me in a small package which is great for my short attention span.
Post a Comment