Friday, August 12, 2011

Beach Day!

We are VERY blessed to live in Connecticut, where even though it may be cold many months of the year we still have WONDERFUL, HOT summers. And we have gorgeous beaches too! However, most of our local beaches don’t have too many waves. We are sort of blocked from the big waves by Long Island, NY and Fisher’s Island, NY. So even though our beaches are gorgeous and fun, we do mostly swimming or floating, not surfing at them. But if you go just a little further away into Rhode Island – you are no longer blocked by the NY Islands and you get to experience the fun of the bigger waves! So, we have driven out there a few times this summer and each time we have an absolute BLAST! I’m talking about me boogie boarding in the waves with the kids for HOURS on end!

Yesterday was one of those days. Bob decided to take the day off from work because we knew it was supposed to be a gorgeous day. And since we’re trying to take advantage of every last ounce of summer it was a good day to do it.

IMG_0452 IMG_0459 IMG_0460 

I’m trying to make myself be more intentional about noticing things around me. Like sights, sounds, etc. To stop and enjoy the beauty of life and not just rush through it. So as we stepped out of the car I turned on all my senses and made myself pay attention. I was not disappointed! From the parking lot you walk up over the dunes, past the little trailer where they make all sorts of fried foods and goodies. Walking over the dunes I noticed the smells that came at me all at once – the salty air, the french fries, the suntan lotion … and as soon as you step over the dunes and onto the beach it’s the sounds that come at you – the crashing waves, giggling children, squawking seagulls … and let’s not forget the things you feel – hot, soft sand beneath my toes, cool, crisp ocean breezes, the warmth of the sun on my shoulders. I felt like I wanted to just stretch my arms wide and say a great big ‘AHHHHHHH!’

IMG_0461  IMG_0463 IMG_0464

We had a fantastic day. We arrived mid-morning and I was just craving coffee and baked goods. So the girls and I walked across the street to this cute little shop and got a muffin and an iced coffee which I then enjoyed on the beach. We spent HOURS on our boogie boards, ‘surfing’ the waves. The water was a little seaweedy, not my fave thing, but we managed to find places where there wasn’t too much and swam in those areas.

IMG_0465 IMG_0467 IMG_0468

A couple times I stepped out to dry off and warm up and take some pictures of the girls. They were having the time of their lives!

IMG_0469 IMG_0470 IMG_0471 IMG_0472

It was a wonderful, amazing day …. when we headed home around 4pm we stopped for ice cream, then the girls came home and swam in the pool for awhile. When I showered later at home I noticed my swimsuit was FULL of sand – I had to laugh, just the result of a fun, full day at the beach! When it’s January and I’m sitting in my house watching the snow fall I will remember this day and count the days {months?!} until we can do it again!