OK friends I have FINALLY decided on all of our curriculum for the coming school year – whew! Feels like it was such a weighty decision and I’m so happy to have it all figured out now!
This year I’m planning to take us in a different direction, mostly because I’ve been working with my kids for the past few years and am finally figuring out what works {and doesn’t work} best for them. So here it is:
Hope – 5th grade
Math – Teaching Textbooks
Language Arts – Total Language Plus {Charlotte’s Web, The Cricket in Times Square, Caddie Woodlawn, & the Wheel on the School} --This program covers:
- Spelling
- Grammar and punctuation
- Vocabulary
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Comprehension
- Writing
- Listening
- Field trips/projects
But since it’s new to us and we haven’t seen it in person yet, we can supplement with other things if we find that it’s not enough. Evan Moor is one of my favorite publishers and they have almost all of their products at my local Education Works store. So we can always pop in there and pick up a daily spelling practice book or whatever we might need.
Joy – 3rd Grade
Math – Teaching Textbooks
Language Arts – Total Language Plus {The Courage of Sarah Noble, The Whipping Boy, The Sign of the Beaver}
BOTH
History/Geography – Confessions of a Homeschooler’s Road Trip USA curriculum {It covers some US history, but if we find it’s not enough we’ll get some History Pockets by Evan Moor}
Science – finish up Apologia’s Astronomy from last year and then we’ll do Considering God’s Creation {which I already have} – we’ll cover Rocks & Minerals, The Plant Kingdom, and The Animal Kingdom.
Spanish – still slowly making our way through Hooked on Spanish – this is just NOT my strong point! I’m laughing as I’m looking up the link online because it says it’s for 4-6 yr olds! hahaha … well like I said, Spanish is not my strong point so we’re not great about working hard on it around here.
Art – the girls take art lessons through my Father in law and we’ll visit several local Art Museums
Music – piano lessons from my awesome friend Jessica and they will hopefully be joining the Praise Kids choir at church this year
Activities – Awana at church, soccer for Hope and swimming for Joy.
Bible – Christian Heroes by David and Neta Jackson {love these authors!!} as well as Awana memory verses. Looking into some kind of daily devotional for girls as well.
Well, that’s all for now … I’m sure I’ll tweak things or come up with some other stuff as we go along. Right now I’m just thankful to have the big decisions made!
2 comments:
In our community perhaps Chinese would be a better bet since you're struggling with Spanish! LOL!
Looks like some great choices! I am just now ordering my TLP (I thought I should wait until after the move:). I can't wait to get it. I've looked at it in person before, but it's been a while. We'll be doing some of the same books, too! I'm excited about this year!!
Post a Comment