The moment we got home I washed and sliced a large bowlful of them, mixed up a super simple dip, and we headed out to the deck to enjoy. You should have seen the 3 of us with our forks - we were like savages and within a few minutes the whole bowl of berries and the whole bowl of dip were long gone!
Take a container of flavored yogurt - my personal fave to use is KEY LIME but I also think LEMON would be yummy and refreshing.
Add a couple large scoops of cool whip {or the whole container if you're serving a crowd}
Mix the two gently together and serve!
The best thing to do is just buy a box of SURE JELL pectin. You can find it at the grocery store or sometimes Walmart. It's the size of a box of Jello. Inside it gives very simple instructions for making freezer jam. They have all kinds of recipes for different kinds of fruits - but make sure you buy enough SUGAR and SURE JELL for the amount of fruit you've got!
And if you think you have enough sugar, go buy more ... because with strawberry jam you use 4 cups of sugar for every 2 cups of fruit! I kid you not. And don't even think about changing the recipe to make it less sugary - it won't set right if you adjust the amounts. Just go with the flow and know that it's still healthier than the store bought jams you could be buying. =)
I bought 3 boxes of SURE JELL and should have bought about 2 more. So you really can't buy enough if you have a LOT of berries like we did.
So, just to be sure you have everything on hand before you get started - make sure you have:
*Sugar
*Sure Jell
*Berries or other fruit
*Clean containers to put jam in. {I love using mason jars but was too cheap to buy them this year so I simply got plastic rubbermaid containers}
In the middle of winter there is nothing I love more than having some fresh strawberry jam over my hot pancakes ... helps me remember those long, lazy days of summer!
Jams I'm hoping to try later in the summer are:
Jams I'm hoping to try later in the summer are:
Blueberry
Raspberry/Peach
Grape
I better find a bigger freezer!
4 comments:
Yummmm!
(Also, I just noticed the friendship bracelet "border" on your new design - very cute)
So, how many pounds did you eat??
Did you see the picture i had posted on my blog of Lynns grandmother and Aunt?
Les- yes I saw the picture - that's great that you have those old pictures! And I plead the 5th about how much we ate! =)
Yummy! I use the sure-jell and go the old-fashioned route with cooking it and using jars. The pkg of Sure-Jell has an awesome recipe for Triple Berry jam - which my guys eat up like crazy. I freeze strawberries and raspberries and then come blackberry season I am already to go to make the triple berry!
Post a Comment