We've just gotten back in town from a long and very fun road trip. We travelled through 7 states + DC and had a wonderful time! I have lots of fun photos and stories to share but first I wanted to share how we coped with the actual travelling part of the trip.
I have never been a good traveller. I get motion sickness when I try to do just about anything. Even reading a map for just a few minutes makes me nauseous! Unfortunately this makes for very long and boring car rides.
Thankfully my girls are great travellers. They can read, color, watch movies, play video games - you name it, they can do it in the car. And they did all of the above on this trip!
So for this trip I decided that we'd have some fun and find a way to keep me busy in the car. We printed out a map of the United States and we brought paper and markers to make a list. Then we looked for license plates that were from other states and wrote them on the list, and marked them on the map. {Working on our geography skills at the same time!!} Our goal was to get 30 different license plates - but instead we ended up seeing 44 different states + DC, Ontario, and Quebec!!! We were shocked and excited that we saw so many of them! Each time we'd see a new one we would shout it out and mark it on the list and map.
The only states we were missing were:
ARKANSAS
WYOMING
MONTANA
IDAHO
SOUTH DAKOTA
NEVADA
The other part of this game was taking note of vanity plates that said interesting things on them. I wrote out a list of them and thought some were very clever and showed a lot about the car owner's personality.
Some of my faves were:
TRY LOVE
OK NIP IT
ILN BREZ {island breeze I assume?}
NY CT GRL
TWNS R US
THANX GD
LV PLAID
4 SCORE 7
GR DAD X2
GLF GOD
OH MY
VORTEX
EDGEEE
TM EDWRD {twilight fan perhaps??}
VAN RATS
3 SO FAR
MY OH MY
CHICKYS
FIT 4 GOLF
IF ONLY
HP NANA
3 GEMS
2 SLOW
WOW
BIRDS
FAST 4 DR
ULTRA 1
ALOOHA
We also saw some baseball and football stadiums, a cruise boat, the nation's capitol and went over lots of big bridges and through one very long tunnel.
So, I have 2 questions for ya ... when you travel - what do YOU do to keep busy in the car? AND, if you ever got a vanity plate, what would you like it to say?
3 comments:
I'm like you. I can't read during a car trip. I can on the train though..go figure. I listen to audiobooks when I can or my fave worship music which is always loaded on my mp3 player. My vanity plate would read."SANDLPR GRL" (Sandlapper Girl - South Carolinians are Sandlappers.)
Love the map idea! I get really motion sick, too. I would love to read in the car - do you know how many books I could put away? ;) Like the person above, audiobooks have really helped me. We also have really good conversations since we're not interrupted like at home. :)
Great idea about the vanity plates, too. Good things to keep in mind on our constant trips back and forth from PA to New England!
First, love the new colors of your blog :)
Second, love that you kept track of the vanity plates! I like the ones best where you have to think about it and it hits you 5 minutes later what it was supposed to be.
I've found a love for downloading audiobooks to my iPod for trips. Yes, a bit antisocial, but sometimes necessary!
Post a Comment