Today was my first time speaking before a group of women at our MOMS group. I'll admit, in the days and weeks leading up to it I felt a little nervous. In elementary school I was AWFUL at public speaking. I would get so nervous my voice would shake, my knees would shake, my thoughts would be all jumbled and my face would go beet red. I hated it and always did horrible at it!
So you can see why I was a little nervous! I have had opportunities where I have gotten up to speak in front of a group - but it was either a group of kids at VBS, or maybe just giving an announcement of some sort to our MOMS group. But never like this - a whole segment of just me speaking.
This morning I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't fall back asleep. Then while getting ready this morning I felt sort of sick to my stomach. I knew my material well, I had spent hours planning it and typing it. I also felt totally comfortable with this group of ladies - they are all wonderful friends and I didn't feel intimidated by them. So why was I feeling so sick and nervous? I do believe it was just the devil trying to tell me I couldn't do it. Trying to squash my message and break my confidence.
So I sat in the darkness this morning and prayed. I asked the Lord to speak through me and that anything I shared would be glorifying to Him and Him alone. And by the time I finished getting ready and drove there to church I wasn't feeling nervous anymore - but instead was excited! I was ready to share with the ladies and excited for the opportunity.
I won't say it was an award winning speech and if any of you were there I DO NOT expect your applause or praise .... but I think it went well and the funny thing is that it built up my confidence so that the next time I'm asked to do something like this I know I can do it again. With confidence. Not in my abilities or words. But only in HIS. His strength, His words, His power. Thank you Lord!!
3 comments:
That's terrific, Kathy! It's wonderful how God uses us when we allow HIM to do the work through us.
That's really great to hear!
What did you speak on, Kathy? I'm glad you were able to recognize the enemy trying to attack. God always helps us when we need it and always to bring glory to Him!
Post a Comment