My goal has been to stick to {about} $100 each week for our grocery budget. We live in a VERY expensive state and we are a family of four, so this is no easy task. There are definitely some weeks that I go WAY over that budget and especially on weeks when I need to add household items but on this particular week I was able to get everything you see in the pictures below for $93 and that was with NO coupons.
Also, I DO have some things on hand already, a few things in the freezer and the pantry ... and like I said, I didn't need any household items this week. But overall I thought I did pretty well considering most of it is stuff that is good for you.
PANTRY ITEMS:
1 bag croutons {we are doing a salad bar for dinner this wk and the girls requested these & the bacon bits, otherwise I wouldn't have bought either one}
1 jar bacon bits
1 box sugar free jello
1 box sugar free pudding
2 boxes healthy harvest pasta
1 box green tea bags
1 can peaches {my girls love}
1 bottle of ranch {for my daughter}
1 bag pita chips {hubby's snack of choice with his hummus}
1 carton unsweetened almond milk
1 bag pierogies {for the girl's lunch}
1 carton eggs
1 bag green beans
1 bag corn
hummus {for hubby}
butter
forgot to put these in the last photo:
1 lb butter
3 Chobani greek yogurt {my fave}
1 whole chicken {not very big but will be enough for a meal}
1 lb ground turkey
1 pork loin
perdue short cuts {wouldn't normally buy but these are for the salad bar night}
3 packs imitation crab meat {another of hubby's fave snacks}
1 lg bag romaine lettuce
1 bag spinach
1 {5 lb} bag carrots
2 packs grape tomatoes
2 sweet potatoes
4 cucumbers
7 bananas
6 Gala apples
1 pck strawberries
6 lemons
T - Turkey Meatloaf with Sweet Potato fries and Green Beans
W - Egg Salad Sandwiches {on Awana night when we need to get out the door}TH - Whole Chicken with Corn and Salad
F - Salad Bar night
S - Pork Loin with Potatoes and Broccoli
SU - Tacos {daughter's request for her family bday party}
Overall I think I used my budget fairly well this week. I have some good, healthy meals planned and lots of fresh fruits and veggies on hand to encourage healthy choices.
Overall I think I used my budget fairly well this week. I have some good, healthy meals planned and lots of fresh fruits and veggies on hand to encourage healthy choices.
What are some of your tips for stretching your budget to allow for healthy choices??
2 comments:
mary got me started on egg salad - and my life has never been the same. lol
i try to make sure that any leftovers i have get used up in a different recipe so there's as little waste as possible. so if i have extra diced tomatoes, it goes in the crockpot with the salsa chicken. if i have extra green peppers, i make another recipe that week using green peppers, as well. it takes some planning but it's really helping make the most out of our food!
Looks like you got some great buys! I know what you mean about it being challenging to afford the better foods. I hardly ever buy convenience foods, but do occasionally (as in, we're having Totinio's for lunch today..ha). I feel okay about it if it's only occasional though. I want to incorporate more fresh veggies and fruits into our meals, too, and that is sometimes a challenge when the fam just wants either corn or green beans for their veggie:)
Post a Comment