I've decided to begin a new chapter in my blogging adventure. It's going to be called Sites Around the State Series and I plan to share some great places to see and things to do around our great state of Connecticut!
Hopefully if you live nearby, or plan to visit sometime in
the future, these posts will offer some helpful information and insight into some of the great places to see.
Living in New England we are blessed to be surrounded by hundreds of years of fantastic living history. I want to be sure I'm taking advantage of that and exposing my girls of all the great things about CT.
Some posts will be about hikes or outdoor adventures, some will be museums and such and others will be just good '
ol family fun to be found around these parts.
So here's to a new adventure! I hope you will enjoy the ride and even if you DON'T live nearby I hope you will enjoy seeing a good glimpse into our little '
ol corner of the USA!
MYSTIC SEAPORT - The Museum of America and the Sea The girls and I and some homeschooling friends went to Mystic Seaport yesterday. It's located in Mystic, CT on the Mystic River.

We have been there a couple other times, but the girls had been quite a bit younger and we just never made it very far before they were either bored or tired. This time, they were older
and wiser and ready for adventure!
haha ... more like it's always more fun with friends! {And never underestimate wearing good walking shoes!} At the
seaport you will literally feel as though you are walking around an old whaling village. There are several large ships / sailboats on the water
and many different
buildings which represent
the way the shops
and buildings would have been many years ago. One of the kids favorite things to do was board a couple of the ships and check out what it would have been like to live
onboard one.

One of MY
favorite things was seeing this
HUUUUGE model of the town of Mystic
and the river which depicted
the way the town looked about a hundred or more years ago. The details were incredible with tiny little people, lights in
the houses, tiny ponies & carts, sawdust where they were
building something, etc. I could have spent HOURS just looking at every little detail
and picturing myself travelling the little dirt roads of Mystic many years ago ...

Another favorite part of mine was this lighthouse. Stepping inside of it we watched a short film about American lighthouses, when they came to be, how they were used, and how they function now. It was super interesting to me and I LOVED seeing all
the unique lighthouses that we have across the US. {We have several great ones in our area.}

One of
the large ships we went on, the men were working on repairing some of the rigging {I think that's what it's called!} I'm pretty sure our kids would have loved to climb those nets had they been given permission!
hahaha 
One thing that REALLY impressed me was that every building or ship we went in had extremely
knowledgeable staff. Not like when you go in a shoe store and the associates have no idea about the product they're selling ... Not at Mystic Seaport! Every employee we interacted with knew their stuff and could easily explain what things were, what they were used for, and how they did things way back then. I was very impressed. This guy below was
working in the silversmith shop and took a long time showing us how he made things and answering
questions from the kids.

Here is the inside of the meetinghouse ... the kids wanted to
know where was the nursery
and Sunday school classrooms -
hahaha.

And one of my fave buildings, the school house! I sorta wished I had a little school house of my own that was just like this! Best thing in
the school house was the large
woodstove right in
the center of the room --- keeping everyone nice and toasty during school time.

This is the store where people would have bought dry goods and fabric
and other wares ... the lady 'working' in this shop was VERY talkative and "wished us well in our endeavors" when she found out that we were
homeschoolers. :)

Another very friendly and knowledgeable staff member teaching the kids about life on a boat ...

How would you like to sleep in one of those tiny bunks?
The Seaport also has a full sized Planetarium which was FABULOUS! We paid the extra $2.50 pp to go in and view a guided show that was about 30-40 minutes. Our guide 'Max' was great and interacted with the kids as he showed them things in the night sky. Since the girls and I are studying Astronomy this year it was really neat to see it sort of played out through the planetarium and I was impressed with how many answers they were able to give because of what we've been learning this year.
All in all the Mystic Seaport was a great place to visit. Truly a living museum of American history.
This is a link to the website for the Seaport. And if you're interested, you can check out a pass at the local libraries which will allow you to tour the Seaport FOR FREE! {all we paid for was the Planetarium.}
6 comments:
I haven't been to Mystic in several years, but I loved it!
Looks like you had fun!
Can't wait til Luke is old enough to do this! I remember seeing those bunks on a school field trip and feeling so claustrophobic. lol
I'm a big fan of your new feature, btw.
I'm going to love this topic! Thanks for thinking of it and I'll be sure to show my kids Connecticut. They can see through your eyes the state I grew up in :).
Kelly
Well, since I can't visit in person~at least not right now~I'm enjoying my virtual tour! It'll help me plan my trip there one day:)
Looks like you had a wonderful day! I loved the lighthouse, seeing those was one of my favorite things about my (one) trip to NE years ago.
your picture of the lighthouse is the EXACT spot my sil got married at last August! that was the only time my kids have been though so I will have to keep it in mind for future field trips :)
I would love to visit!
Post a Comment