Monday, August 18, 2008

My project

Have I kept you waiting long enough? Are you dying to know what I used all those fabrics for??

Well, those who know me well know that I always have some kind of project going on. I just love to re-decorate and make changes around my home. I love how a can of paint and some cheap fabric can completely change the look of a room. I love to be creative and keep things fresh. Most rooms in my house have been changed many, many times. Several rooms have seen more than one color of paint, and most of my windows have have several different curtains on them. I even enjoy the simplest act of re-arranging the furniture in a room - just to change things up.

So I've been wanting to change things in H's room for awhile. Her comforter was getting very old, very worn and looking pretty shabby. I wanted to buy her a new quilt set but was frustrated at the cost. I also needed to change her window treatments - all she had was some fabric that I'd stapled to the window with ribbons to tie it up when we wanted to let the light in.

I was excited to find fabrics at my favorite discount fabric store, and at Walmart which were all between $1-2 per yard!! So these pictures are the results of my projects ...

I made a 'quilt' with the new fabrics, then slipped the old comforter inside, sewed up the edges, and used glittery silver yarn to hold it together at the corners of the squares ...
Then, I took some old roman shades (that I made years ago and were sitting in the basement) and recovered them with the matching fabrics ... and finally made a swag from all the leftover scraps of fabric.
I confess. I cheated on the shades. I hot glued the new fabrics to the old shade, then hot glued ribbon at the seams to cover the rough edges.
This swag idea came straight from the Nester's blog, I have one in my bathroom too and I love the way they look!
Here's the bed, curtain and swag all together.
I am so happy with how it all turned out! And H was too, she loves her 'new' room. =)

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I've always loved the curtains you make. You have to show me how to make the swag.