The wonderful ladies at (In)Courage have come up with these 20 questions to help us reflect on the past year and challenge ourselves for the upcoming year. So this year, instead of coming up with a long list of New Year's resolutions {which is what I've always done in the past} ... I'm going to take this time to reflect and pray over the past 12 months and how I hope and pray that it will affect me in the coming year. You're more than welcome to join in with your own post! If you'd like to copy and paste the questsions from (In)Courage, click here.
20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?Putting our girls in public school and learning to trust God more.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Continuing to trust Him when the school shooting happened in Newtown, CT.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Seeing the girls excel in school, band instruments and sports - even things I wasn't sure they would enjoy or stick with and they have surprised me with their enjoyment of.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Learning to trust God. When we began 2012 we were still homeschooling full time and fully expecting we would continue to homeschool for many years to come. Never in my wildest dreams did I think He would challenge us to trust Him so fully this year {and every year to come}.
5. Pick three words to describe 2012.
Trust. Fun. Change.
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2012—don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you. (If you’re not married, have fun guessing the answers from other friends and family, or just skip this question.)
Joy. Tears {the older I get, the more of a sap I am!}. Tired {I am forever falling asleep while watching a movie or TV show!}.
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2012—again, without asking.
Family. Work. Fun.
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Going Public by David and Kelli Pritchard
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
The Bible
Take One, Two, Three and Four by Karen Kingsbury
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My husband, my children, my 3 best friends.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Trust. Sorry I keep coming back to this word but it really was the biggest change in my life this year!
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I am slowly learning to let go with my children, to accept that they are growing fast and it's OK to let them do things and experience things that are not within my control. To know that they are fully and completely in the Father's care at all times, even when I can't be there controlling things. Control has been an ongoing issue for me for years, so relinquishing control has been a BIG heart change.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I got involved with the Good Morning Girls Bible studies this year and as a result had a more consistent quiet time with the Lord than I ever have before. I did 3 out of their 4 studies and noticed that the weeks in between studies I slacked off again - it just goes to show me that the daily accountability is exactly what I need.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I feel like I'm finally starting to learn that when I slack on exercise and eat unhealthy things for long stretches of time that my whole body feels crummy. Everything hurts, I sleep terribly, it all just weighs me down. I still have a lot to learn and many habits to change but I am getting there, little by little. I want to feel good and be healthy and active waaaay into my old age - so I need to do everything I can to take care of myself NOW.
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I have been learning to let go of my high expectations with others. So many times I expect people will do certain things or say certain things or be *just like me* and I end up feeling hurt and frustrated when they don't meet my expectations. The Lord is trying to teach me to love others, despite our differences. One thing that always upsets me is when friends or family don't answer my emails - I feel hurt that they don't take the time to respond, even if it's a quick sentence. I still have a long way to go, but I'm slowly learning to let it go. {and I also realize just how hurtful it feels when *I* forget to answer other people's emails!}
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
This year I began working part time at a Christian preschool and also at my youngest daughter's elementary school - the best part of BOTH jobs was getting to know each of the precious children! Sometimes it was heartbreaking as I realized that some of these kids face such difficult things at home, but it just made me want to reach out to them all the more.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Just finding balance with my time. I sometimes feel like I'm dashing from one thing to the next with little time to regroup. I'm sure this is why I'm so tired each evening! But many times I let stuff like consistent exercise slide because life is busy and I need to find a better balance with all of that stuff.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Um, the internet! No question about it, I waste FAR too much time online. Sad, but true.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
The times when I would disconnect and just BE with my family. Taking a vacation to New Hampshire and Bermuda were the best things EVER - I didn't bring a computer, we didn't have internet or anything to keep us connected so we simply ENJOYED our time together ... unplugging is such a GOOD thing!!
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
TRUST, TRUST, TRUST!! There's that word again! Trust God and NOT myself ... remember that I am not in control, HE is and learn to let it go and give up the need to control things.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2012 for you.
Lord, this year you challenged me to let go of my FEAR and learn to TRUST You, you challenged me to accept CHANGE and learn to LOVE others ... I am learning, slowly learning and thankful that You never stop teaching me and never give up on me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past two years I chosen a 'word' for the year. Last year it was 'SIMPLIFY' and there were definitely certain areas of my life that I did indeed simplify. I would still like to learn to live a simple life and be less attached to the modern world. We shall see how this plays out this coming year as I just got my first 'smart phone' for Christmas, which is something I've never had. =)
In the past couple of weeks I've been feeling the Lord put the word 'ENCOURAGEMENT' on my heart. When evaluating my spiritual gifts, I do feel that encouragement is one of mine and I know the Lord would want me to use it for His glory, not mine. So my prayer for the coming year is that I would use the gift of encouragement to lift others up this year and glorify God in doing so.
So, with all that said .... HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FRIENDS!!!!
2 comments:
I love what you had to say. I usually do. Thank you for sharing what you learned this past year and how God has been speaking to your heart. I believe God has been working on me trusting Him more this past year, too. This whole move down south has been a big lesson in trust and walking thru my many fears that I have had. Even being here is learning to trust Christ daily. This has been one of the most difficult steps in obedience for Keith and me to take without any guarantee of any type of outcome and leaving many people behind whom we loved dearly. Leaving a ministry we loved, poured our lives into and see that ministry fall now that we are gone has been heart wrenching, yet we are to keep trusting and believing that He has our best in mind. Blessings on your New Year!
Oops, I meant to sign my name!
Kelly from the South now :)
Post a Comment