When it comes to Christmas I am most definitely a traditional kinda girl. I'm perfectly happy doing the same things year after year ... though we do occasionally add something new or ditch something old.
Here are our top 10 traditions we do every year to celebrate the season {in no particular order}:
1. Making Christmas cookies and treats - this is one of my favorites and some of the things I make are recipes form my Grandma, which just makes me nostalgic and makes me miss her. I like to make several different kinds and bring some over to share with our neighbors, as well as bring some to Christmas parties we go to throughout the month.
2. Going to a local light parade - it's seriously the best parade we see all year! The floats are AMAZING, there are a whole bunch of dance troops with light up costumes, they throw tons of candy {my kids love that}, and even some floats with the nativity scene or signs that say 'Keep Christ in Christmas!' ... it's just an amazing time in every way!
3. On the Sunday before Christmas our church does an all church carol sing - all the little kiddos come up from Sunday school to sing on stage - it's precious! We also always go to the Christmas Eve service every year. They always do an early one that is geared to kids and a later one which is more for adults. Again, it's a precious thing. One year, about 5 years ago, my oldest daughter accepted the Lord at the Christmas Eve service! It was awesome, no greater gift, I tell ya!
4. Christmas morning breakfast. We always make a big egg casserole, some type of sweet bread or danish and some fruit - and believe it or not, we wait until AFTER our big breakfast to open any gifts ... my girls have learned to be VERY patient on Christmas morning!!
5. Picking out and cutting down our tree together. We had a fake tree for many years but 3 yrs ago we went back to a real tree and we LOVE it! I may never have fake again!
6. Making something crafty. This year we kept it simple with some cinnamon ornaments ... other years I have stamped homemade calendars, sewn special gifts for people or made other kinds of ornaments with my girls. The holidays are a good time to be crafty and have fun.
7. Going to a Christmas party with our BFF's. My friend hosts it every year and there are 8 adults and 11 kids there. We do a yankee swap, have lots of yummy food and just have a fantastic time. I look forward to it every year!
8. Reading The Night Before Christmas on ... you guessed it, the night before Christmas. Just seems natural ... =)
9. Taking turns to open things {even stockings!} ... we like to be sure everyone gets to see what the others are getting so we take our time and let one person at a time open their stocking or gifts - that way we're not all just tearing into things with frenzy! {I told you my girls were patient!}
10. Putting all the gifts out after the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve. Even though my girls don't believe in Santa anymore, we like to hide everything until that night ... so it's a big surprise when they come out on Christmas morning and see all the stuff. So I never put gifts under the tree until that night.
Hope you have enjoyed, go over to Kelly's blog to see check out her Traditions Tuesday and view lots and lots more Christmas traditions!!
1 comment:
Awww, great list! And what a great treasury for your girls to look back on someday for their own families. :)
Post a Comment