Monday, February 7, 2011

1,000 Gifts {317-349}

Oh friends! I got my book in the mail! One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I started reading it the first day I had it. I'm taking my time, trying to fully absorb it all ... but already it's been wonderfully life changing.

I will warn you all, should you choose to read her book, that the first chapter is sort of tough. You will have to get through the tough stuff in able to move on to the good though. So just grab your tissues and a quiet moment alone and read it. I promise you it will be worth it.

It's not too late to join in on the book club too. They posted the first video from chapter one just yesterday and you can still go back and watch it at a later time if needed. So if you're interested grab a copy of the book and get started!

***************************************************************
Last week the girls and I had a little out of town trip. We met my friend Julie and her daughters in Pennsylvania at Julie's in-law's house. We planned to stay just 3 nights and let the girls all play together while Julie and I got some scrapbooking done. It's a 6 hour drive from our house and I am not a fan of driving long distances by myself. {My husband does a lot of the driving on car trips.} On the way there we drove through the Poconos in a snowstorm! There were times I couldn't see any other cars on the road and was very fearful. I prayed A LOT on that car ride and thankfully we made it there safely.

Well, the day we were to travel home there was a significant snow and ice storm across many of the northeastern states and we needed to just stay put.
We ended up staying another 2 nights until the storm was all done and the roads cleared enough to safely travel home. One of the days we lost power for the entire day. The wonderful thing was that it forced the girls to just play and not be connected to TV or wii for the day ... and ended up being a really great day for everyone. I have so much to be thankful for from last week ... here is the continuation of my counting of one thousand gifts ...

* a fun Mommy/daughter date of going out to lunch and the movies

* having a very productive day

* scrapbook supplies

* comforting my little girls

* more snow and more snow and more snow!

* baking cookies with my girls

* the elliptical machine

* 1,000 Gifts book arrived in the mail!

* quiet time with a cup of tea, warm blankets and a good book

* safety in travelling to PA through a snow storm

* girls who are so good in the car

* my awesome friend Julie

* the girls having a blast with their friends

* having a safe place to wait out the storm

* a warm home {even without power} because of the wood stove pumping out heat

* fun things to do together even with no power in the house

* knowing a tiny smidgen of what it would be like to be Amish ... and thankful that we have modern conveniences MOST of the time

* Nana's delicious canned peaches and apple dumplings

* wonderful hospitality - we were never made to feel that we were overstaying our welcome, even though we did by 2 full days and nights

* seeing many Amish people and their different way of life

* recognizing the gift of living a simple life

* layers of warm quilts

* great kindness shown to Hope - who got to have an overnight with her friend at 'Aunt Steph's' - to have a sewing lesson and go out to eat and go shopping -- it was a wonderfully girly, fun day and I know how much she loved and appreciated it.

* clear, sunny days so we can travel home safely

* seeing my hubby after a long 6 days apart

* 83 scrapbook pages done - enjoying the gift of the memories they bring

* little girls who lend a hand at home

* Friday night "date" with my family which involved dinner out and a food shopping trip

* my Mom who is always helping, always supporting, always praying

* Saturday lunch with my Mom and girls - having a good talk with Mom

* a relaxing Super Bowl 'party' with just a few people over

* laughter over silly commercials

* growing girls. ever growing. and growing. and growing.

One Thousand Gifts #317-349
If you would like to join this gratitude community and count your blessings one by one - or perhaps learn more about the book and/or book club, click on the link below to go to Ann's blog ...

No comments: