Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I want to live in a fun house

Noooo, not like those crazy FUN HOUSES you go through at a carnival ... like a home that is fun to live in - where I'm more concerned with the relationships than the floors being perfectly clean. I want my girls to know it's OK to make messes, paint, use crafty supplies, have fun. I want them to know their boundaries, but know that their Mom doesn't take herself or her home too seriously. Sure, there are things I don't allow ... things like jumping on my couches and coloring on walls - but my children respect that and honor that and I'm thankful that they do.

Having said all that, I decided one day to give them a wall they COULD color on. A place for fun quotes, making lists or just drawing. And why not have it be a wall in the center of our home ... the very hub of where we all want to be?

And so .... I painted one small wall in my kitchen/dining area with chalk board paint ... oh gosh, I feel like it was months ago! I just forgot to post the pics!

Here is the before and after:

Before, yellow wall that separates the kitchen and dining areas:
And the small partition above the island counter. Sorry about the messy counters! haha
After, the chalkboard wall ...
The chalkboard paint goes across the partition too. I know my kids can't reach up there - but I can! =) {well, while standing on a chair, but still!}
We have used it to write messages to one another, to cheer on a fave sports team when they play, to draw pictures, to celebrate holidays, etc.
Here is my note to self one day when I really needed to prioritize my time!

I recently bought the chalkboard markers and they work really well too. It's been fun to have the chalkboard wall and I hope we don't outgrow the fun of it. {Because I'm sure re-painting would NOT be fun! LOL}




7 comments:

HopiQ said...

Love it! Someday I'm hoping to be able to do this if we ever stop renting! :)

Amy said...

Love the idea... I would love to do something like this here even though we are renting. Hmm... :)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

I love that you are such an intentional Mom. I think it's awesome! Can't wait to see it when I COME OVER! lol

Mary said...

Wow Kathy! That is the idea of all ideas! Great one! I love how it matches your kitchen so well! Clever! (And I love your Aug header! Great photos!)

Lora @ my blessed life said...

What a fun idea! I love chalkboard paint!!

Brooke said...

looks great and what a neat idea!

Stacey Pittsinger said...

Wow! What an amazing idea. I can imagine the fun you can have with a wall like that. Thanks so much for sharing.